Upgrade Security Cameras

Bachsig

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok so my family purchased a business and their previous security system is 7 years old. I believe the hard drive is corrupted because the system restarts every 20 minutes and will not play back recording properly. The name of the system is ATV Falcon model FA-HDR16-1TB. The system I am looking for replacement is Lorex NR9163 from Amazon. Is this a good choice or should I go with something different?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You really need to replace the cameras too, which likely means running new cables. There are probably better deals. Contact forum member @EMPIRETECANDY for prices.

How big is the business? Can you post a few pictures of the current install showing the DVR, a couple cameras, and cabling?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome @Bachsig

I concur w/tangent, plan to replace the entire system.

Probably a good idea to write down what you want to accomplish with your system to help you decide on replacement options.

Notes:
FALCON HDR
FA-HDR16
spec sheet lists:

Video Input: 16-BNC Looping Inputs, Auto Terminating

The max resolution supported is:
D1 720 x 480

Thus replacing this DVR with the proposed Lorex NVR and keeping the old cameras will not be a function solution. Considering the age, technology, and resolutions of the cameras it would be a good time to upgrade the entire system to a better one.

Last edited:

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Get a tvi system, get new cameras and use exisiting wire.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Get a tvi system, get new cameras and use exisiting wire.
That could be an option, but before I'd recommend that I'd like to see some photos of the current install (which could be good or a sub par diy job with cables from a kit). It's also important to evaluate budget and expectations.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I used the cables from an old first alert video system. A few months ago with a new hikvision tvi system , didn't have any problems. Price of 4 cameras with NVR was price of only two IP cameras and no NVR. The client was super happy about it.

Bachsig

n3wb
Reaction score
You really need to replace the cameras too, which likely means running new cables. There are probably better deals. Contact forum member @EMPIRETECANDY for prices.

How big is the business? Can you post a few pictures of the current install showing the DVR, a couple cameras, and cabling?

The business is about 2K sq. ft. Plus 3 areas outside. The cameras are all the same, not high enough resolution to read license plates 30-50 ft away but decent inside.

Attachments

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I used the cables from an old first alert video system. A few months ago with a new hikvision tvi system , didn't have any problems. Price of 4 cameras with NVR was price of only two IP cameras and no NVR. The client was super happy about it.
You're encouraging bad practices @pal251.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Not really q. Not everyone has the budget to pay someone to run new wire and compared to the alternative it was much better price.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not really q. Not everyone has the budget to pay someone to run new wire and compared to the alternative it was much better price.
Anybody and his sister can run cable, unless one is lazy or one has a disability; there's not a lot to it, other than it's often a dirty hot job.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Man they drilled the cable hole right thru the ceiling tile!

Bachsig

n3wb
Reaction score
Anybody and his sister can run cable, unless one is lazy or one has a disability; there's not a lot to it, other than it's often a dirty hot job.
I have no problem running cable, is it necessary though? They are about 5-7 years old. Is it worth trying to replace the hard drive in the current system and just upgrade the outside cameras?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have no problem running cable, is it necessary though? They are about 5-7 years old. Is it worth trying to replace the hard drive in the current system and just upgrade the outside cameras?
I don't think think there's much if anything in the current system worth saving.

I'd recommend running new cable to your new cameras.