Upgraded Server and now higher CPU load?

tgurske

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey all,

I upgraded from a 4 core E3-1230 @ 3.2GHz to a 4 core i5-7600K @ 3.8Ghz and my CPU utilization went from 6% to 25%. The 7600k is a newer and faster everything so I'm confused.

Is this normal?

tgurske

n3wb
Reaction score
Have you performed EVERY SINGLE STEP in CPU optimization as indicated here ?

Using a version of BI that utilizes camera substreams will likely make the most positive difference in lowering CPU ussage.
Yes. Originally, with the old CPU and before the optimizations, I was at 25%. Then, with the new sub-stream function I was able to get to 6% with my seven 4k cameras. Everything was great until I switched to a better machine. The only thing I can think of is that the xeon was better for BI even though it was an older chip. Maybe the video was offloaded somewhere else on the motherboard or something.

tgurske

n3wb
Reaction score
Same. 16GB. New is at 40% memory utilization at the moment. I've seen it higher. It is definitely using more memory than before as well. I wonder if it's a Windows issue.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You haven't got all of the optimizations done, or have something fubarred. I'm running an i7-6700 with 11 cameras, and it runs just under 10%. Add in DeepStack on 4-5 cameras, two OpenALPR, and it is up to close to 20%. That was before I upgraded the ram to 16 GB, it was about the same on 8 GB. Check the optimizations. Check Windows startup. Make sure Windows isn't trying to run virus checking on the BVR files.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I upgraded from a 4 core E3-1230 @ 3.2GHz to a 4 core i5-7600K @ 3.8Ghz and my CPU utilization went from 6% to 25%. The 7600k is a newer and faster everything so I'm confused.

Is this normal?
are you running the demo in the new machine?

tgurske

n3wb
Reaction score
are you running the demo in the new machine?
No.

I have an update though. Task manager shows that BI is not the issue. Once I turned off some of the security stuff Task Manager shows 10% CPU. So that's good.

I would like to note that the "Server Status" in BI shows completely different numbers. The CPU is still showing high there. I set the CPU usage factor to .5 so that should make it match the task manager.

Either way, I think I got it figured out. Thank you all for your help!