upgrading a bad ip camera lens

ipversity

n3wb
Reaction score
I purchased a cheap onfiv poe camera that was advertised as having a 360 FOV. As I am not experienced yet I should have know it was bullocks. THe image is not fully 360/180 degrees FOV and the service support with the seller leads no where as one can expect from shady sellers on those popular web sites from our friends in the east.

The camera was sold as having these specs;

Camera
Product Name 1.3 Megapixel IP 360 Degree Panoramic Camera
Model No. LM-IF360C8IRB
DSP High sensitivity CMOS sensor, Hislicon 3518C DSP
Imaging Sensor 1/3" CMOS Sensor
Resolution 1280(H)*960(V), 1.3 Megapixel
Lens 1.2mm 360degree Panoramic megapixel lens
IR LEDs 30pcs IR Leds
Night Vision Distance 25-30 IR Distance

I tried placing a different lens that hopefully would work better so after waiting for too long for it to arrive I can't get a sharp image because of the lens shaft length is not similar to the original lens.
The specs of the new lens are;
Model: M12-1.0-5MP-F-FL
Mount: M12
Aperture: F2.2
Resolution: 5 Megapixel
Image Form 1/3"(φ3.27mm)
Focal Length: 1.0mm
BFL: 2.68mm
MBF: 1.93mm
IRIS: Fixed
M.O.D.: 0.15m
Weight: 10g
Dimension: Φ24x20.61mm

Would anyone know how I can gather more information of the original lens suck as focal length or aperture or what have you? This all in the hopes I can find a lens that does work with this specific ip camera board and sensor and does provide a 360/180 FOV

ipversity

n3wb
Reaction score
yes it is a marketing slogan used in the east to scam foolish buyers like myself.

Anyway the original lens roughly a 180 degree horizontal FOV and a 160 degree vertical FOV.

What I am looking to get ia 180 degree vertical and horizontal.

The new lens has 220 degrees horizontal and vertical but like I said I can't get it sharp.

ipversity

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 9 camera's already and for this specific scenario I;ll need 180/180 FOV. I would apreciate one stays on topic

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yes it is a marketing slogan used in the east to scam foolish buyers like myself.

Anyway the original lens roughly a 180 degree horizontal FOV and a 160 degree vertical FOV.

What I am looking to get ia 180 degree vertical and horizontal.

The new lens has 220 degrees horizontal and vertical but like I said I can't get it sharp.
I have 9 camera's already and for this specific scenario I;ll need 180/180 FOV. I would apreciate one stays on topic
HI @ipversity

Perhaps sharing pictures of the lens, and images you are capturing would help.

"What I am looking to get ia 180 degree vertical and horizontal. " - ipversity

In general, with a sensor which is not square I would not expect the vfov = hfov -> the ratio should be the same as the ratio of the sensor chip which captures the image.

So if the chip is 1280(H)*960(V) and the H FOV = 180 then

V FOV = (960/1280) * H FOV = (960/1280) * 180

Last edited:

ipversity

n3wb
Reaction score
HI @ipversity

Perhaps sharing pictures of the lens, and images you are capturing would help.

"What I am looking to get ia 180 degree vertical and horizontal. " - ipversity

In general, with a sensor which is not square I would not expect the vfov = hfov -> the ratio should be the same as the ratio of the sensor chip which captures the image.

So if the chip is 1280(H)*960(V) and the H FOV = 180 then

V FOV = (960/1280) * H FOV = (960/1280) * 180
I see.

below is a picture of the 2 lenses and the camera housing opened. the bottom lens is the original and the one above it is the new one. An image of the blurred image I capture with the new lens is a bit hard to do and also it is soo blurry I am not sure it would help that much.

What I do see though is that i can still see my finger all around and a bit below the lens. So it looks as if this sensor is able to get 220/220 FOV. And if there was anyway to get the lens even closer to the sensor it might get sharp eventually. I am not sure though if that is what would happen.

Anyway I am perfectly willing to replace the sensor as well but I found in the mean time that the new lens was designed to work with an OV5658 or OV4689 sensor. Both seem discontinued, at least I can't find one to purchase.

If one could suggest a 180/180 lens and a sensor to go with it I am also very much helped. Or perhaps one knows a 180/180 lens for this specific sensor I already have.

Anyway I am open to suggestions.

1641245928304.png

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I see.

below is a picture of the 2 lenses and the camera housing opened. the bottom lens is the original and the one above it is the new one. An image of the blurred image I capture with the new lens is a bit hard to do and also it is soo blurry I am not sure it would help that much.

What I do see though is that i can still see my finger all around and a bit below the lens. So it looks as if this sensor is able to get 220/220 FOV. And if there was anyway to get the lens even closer to the sensor it might get sharp eventually. I am not sure though if that is what would happen.

Anyway I am perfectly willing to replace the sensor as well but I found in the mean time that the new lens was designed to work with an OV5658 or OV4689 sensor. Both seem discontinued, at least I can't find one to purchase.

If one could suggest a 180/180 lens and a sensor to go with it I am also very much helped. Or perhaps one knows a 180/180 lens for this specific sensor I already have.

Anyway I am open to suggestions.

View attachment 114408
In general, if the lens is ok - you should be able to screw it up or down until you get the image in focus, ..

ipversity

n3wb
Reaction score
In general, if the lens is ok - you should be able to screw it up or down until you get the image in focus, ..
I can't screw the new lens any further. but in general the further I screw it in the more in focus the image becomes.

ipversity

n3wb
Reaction score
for the old lens there is an optimal point in where if I screw further the image becomes blurry again

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Maybe think about taking some length off the "bottom" end of the new lens so it doesn't bottom out before coming into focus. A coping saw, file or Dremel would work for something like that. If you do that be sure to clean it very thoroughly before installing the new lens.

ipversity

n3wb
Reaction score
Maybe think about taking some length off the "bottom" end of the new lens so it doesn't bottom out before coming into focus. A coping saw, file or Dremel would work for something like that. If you do that be sure to clean it very thoroughly before installing the new lens.
So the lens at the bottom of the shaft has no function? in that case it is worth a try

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If there's a lens at the bottom, too, you're stuck with no way to improve things. Back to square one again.