Upgrading dvr to NVR setup- best budget 8/16 channel cam nvr?

Slammed01

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all!

trying to update my swann dvr to newer NVR to keep an eye on the house.

Are there any all in one good kits with stable app and cam audio? And works with Alexa?

Which brands are preferred? I saw Costco has lorex on sale but people say app isn’t great and lacks customer support.

Around $5-800 for around the house.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Consider a Blue Iris/computer combo as an NVR. Keep in mind an NVR is a stripped down computer after all....and isn't true plug-n-play like people believe. You still have to dial the cameras into your setting. Once you do that, might as well go with something that has the best chance of working with many different camera brands. And I have found Blue Iris to be more robust and easier than an NVR. As always, YMMV...

Many of us purchase a refurbished computers that are business class computers that have come off lease. The one I bought I kid you not I could not tell that it was a refurbished unit - not a speck of dust or dents or scratches on it. It appeared to me like everything was replaced and I would assume just the motherboard with the intel processor is what was from the original unit. I went with the lowest end processor on the WIKI list as it was the cheapest and it runs my system fine. Could probably get going for $200 or so. A real NVR will cost more than that.

A member here just last month found a refurbished 4th generation for less than $150USD that came with Win10 PRO, 16GB RAM, and a 1TB drive. Blue Iris has a demo, so try it out on an existing computer and see if you like it. You can pull the cameras from the Swann DVR right into Blue Iris by simply adding in the IP address of the DVR in the camera IP address of Blue Iris and then down about halfway is a camera # and you just select the camera number to bring in.

There is a big Blue Iris or NVR debate here LOL. Some people love Blue Iris and think NVRs are clunky and hard to use and others think Blue Iris is clunky and hard to use. I have done both and prefer Blue Iris. As with everything YMMV...

And you can disable Windows updates and set up the computer to automatically restart in a power failure, and then you have a more powerful NVR with a nice mobile viewing interface.

Slammed01

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you! I do have a old desktop I’m not technically using too that was a dell refurb. Guess I will have to look into blue iris, friend said that was a lot of configuring that I know nothing about lol.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I found the NVRs interfaces to be much more difficult than Blue Iris. I had DVR/NVRs for years and within an hour of the BI demo I was convinced and haven't looked back.

BI works with Alexa.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Amcrest has some EZ PZ nvrs. Couple that iwith some 1179ews with built in mics. Get the Amcrest view pro App…find it all on Amazon

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Are these cams any better than Costco deal? 2 will be exposed rest under eaves.
Also trying to confirm if onvaf compliant.

Lorex at least uses cameras made by Dahua. Doesn't mean their software they put on it is any good.

Lorex if you want to be done with it. Above suggestions if you want bang for buck and best quality for that buck.

Slammed01

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks! Yes, just want a semi-decent Poe setup that I can upgrade/switch over time later on. I’d like to get the installer to wire/install so there and done.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
It does not say in the product description on Amazon, or your link, what sensor size is in the camera or if it's 2.8mm, 3.6mm or 6mm....
A lot of packages come with 2.8mm wide angle cams. It'd Be nice if they had a 4 cam 8 channel package so you could try 4 other cameras instead, But im not versed in Lorex's "play well with others" camera's situation.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
if you buy something like this, you can pick out some different cameras to mix and match.

Slammed01

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you, amcrest tend to be better than lorex? Never seen since only online, reliable for app/software? Seems there cams are cheaper, I don’t really need the spotlight/alarm on lorex. Would like colornight vision.
trying to stay around $700.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Amcrest and Lorex are made by Dahua, I think the amcrest might nnot be as fussy with a mashup of mixed cams. You can buy a 6 TB hdd yourself, and pick out a different variety of cams....which might help your system do a better more precise job
i havent had any experience with Lorex. so not sure if there better or not. I hear things about Lorex being more " camera specific" and having issues with using different cams. which locks you in to using/buying specific higher priced cams so they can makemore $. Somebody else probably knows better than me.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
The amcrest 5 series is newer than the 4108 above, and costs more. im sure thats got more bells and whistles ( one hopes)....and your not capped at 6Tb.
can go as high as 2 10TB drives. thats over a month of video on an 8 channel system.