Upgrading existing coax system

erocl

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all.

I purchased a 16 year old house with a defunct coax surveillance system including around 6 external and 1 internal camera. I believe the cameras are Pelco IS310.

I took down the internal camera so I could see the connections. I have attached some images.

All coax runs to a central patch panel in the basement.

Running new ethernet does not appear to be viable so I've been researching if there are good options available that will use the existing wiring.

Would the latest HDCVI offerings be able to run on the cables in the pictures? I'm wondering if I can purchase a new HDCVI NVR kit with new bullet cameras using the latest tech and replace what I have.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I'm happy to answer any questions. Just let me know.

Thanks,

Erocl

Attachments

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello all.

I purchased a 16 year old house with a defunct coax surveillance system including around 6 external and 1 internal camera. I believe the cameras are Pelco IS310.

I took down the internal camera so I could see the connections. I have attached some images.

All coax runs to a central patch panel in the basement.

Running new ethernet does not appear to be viable so I've been researching if there are good options available that will use the existing wiring.

Would the latest HDCVI offerings be able to run on the cables in the pictures? I'm wondering if I can purchase a new HDCVI NVR kit with new bullet cameras using the latest tech and replace what I have.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I'm happy to answer any questions. Just let me know.

Thanks,

Erocl
Hi @erocl

See if there is something printed on the sheathing of the coax cable, hopefully we can easily determine the quality of the cable which was installed.

erocl

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi @erocl

See if there is something printed on the sheathing of the coax cable, hopefully we can easily determine the quality of the cable which was installed.
Hi @mat200,

The coax cable says CAROL(R) --C3521 -- RG6/U TYPE 75 OHM.

Does that help or are you looking for something else? Is this cable any good?

Thanks,

Erocl

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @mat200,

Thanks,

Erocl
RG6 = good
iirc /U = underground rated

so good news on that!!!

Look for @bigredfish posts, there are some nice Dahua starlight coax cameras...

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @mat200,

Thanks,

Erocl
Others on the site, including myself, have had very good success using one of these adapters for that hard to replace coax location. This opens up all the IP cameras to consider and doesn't limit you to coax! For kicks when I got the adapter and tested it, I ran 4 cameras off a single coax! Not that I needed to, I just wanted to see if there was a limit. Works great for one camera.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Kinda tied up at dayjob today, but was just going to recommend same as above as an option. I did a review on those here I’ll try to find and link to. They work well.

As to HDCVI cameras, if you stay in the 1080p pro series Starlights they have the same sensor and perform equally as well as the IP 2MP Starlights.

so two ways to go...

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
The /U has nothing to do with underground use. It's a statement that it meets current government specs.
(R=Radio Frequency, G=Government, U=Universal Specification)

Reaction score
While I have never used the Dahua PoE over Coax converters, I have installed loads of the Axis ones. And they really do make a lot of things easier (especially in commercial environments where its just as much about the time it takes to do the job as it does the overall cost). The converters are really quick and simple, but they add extra cost. You say there are 7 cameras, and that it doesn't appear you can run ethernet. If you run the converters, that's $483 US (if the price in the review linked above is still accurate), I'm not sure how much data guys cost where you are, but you may be able to get all the runs pulled in with ethernet for a similar price. You would be surprised at how good those guys can be running cables, they know all the tricks. That's if you want to go with an IP solution (only really worth it if you want to go with High MP).

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Good point, the OP should compare costs and get a quote. I have no idea the cost to have cable pulled in his area but I hear an avg of $150 per drop thrown around a lot

1.21 jiggawatts!

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi @1.21 jiggawatts!

Compare the "Minimum Illumination" lux ratings - in general lower rating should mean better low light performance. ( when comparing Dahua OEM cameras .. )
seems like a number is missing here : 0.005Lux/F1.5, 30IRE

is it 1/30s or 1/3s?

IPC-HDW5231R-ZE for comparison:

0.006Lux/F1.6 ( Color,1/3s,30IRE)

0.05Lux/F1.6 ( Color,1/30s,30IRE)

also, some of these hdcvi i am looking at don't state the vertical Angle of View

specs can be deceiving.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
seems like a number is missing here : 0.005Lux/F1.5, 30IRE

is it 1/30s or 1/3s?

IPC-HDW5231R-ZE for comparison:

0.006Lux/F1.6 ( Color,1/3s,30IRE)

0.05Lux/F1.6 ( Color,1/30s,30IRE)
also, some of these hdcvi i am looking at don't state the vertical Angle of View

specs can be deceiving.
"specs can be deceiving."

Indeed @1.21 jiggawatts!

Thus best imho to really use specs to help determine which cameras to test and compare, perhaps picking up 2 cameras and using real world testing to decide which to buy more of.

Also I try to only use specs to compare similar models from an OEM with each other.
( example: Dahua OEM IP cameras )

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I would stay away from the 4K Star;ights, 2MP and 4MP do very well in low light.