Upgrading my system.....

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I just grabbed this. No one in the frame, but it shows how much was not in frame.
Alley 2023-03-27 09.19.30.533 PM.jpg

For reference, these are from a 2.8mm mounted on the siding above the vents coming out of the house in the shot above. (Maybe what you were thinking of)
Front Yard, North 2023-01-02 02.56.30.433 PM.jpgFront Yard, North 2023-01-02 02.56.48.280 PM.jpg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
^ I think it would be easy to see though based on this that at night you could never digital zoom to that opening and get a clear capture. And you have more light than most and additional IR blasters.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
If you are looking for a small PTZ, I would look into the SD4A425DB-HNY.

This was triggered with spotter cameras and then auto-tracked her with the built in AI.

For size reference, here it is on my second floor soffit. There is a fixed 5442 on the first floor.
54A2AF2B-7163-4359-BF42-69D5E44FB45A.jpg

This is across the street and 3 houses down. 2x zoom, I believe. This is from the house on the corner that the girls turns by when the PTZ loses her.
19147627-F038-4337-8895-B96011FBFAB9.jpg

Last edited:

Keizer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you are looking for a small PTZ, I would look into the SD4A425DB-HNY.
How does that camera perform at night? I was under the impression you didn't want a 4MP camera that is anything smaller than a 1/1.8" sensor.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
How does that camera perform at night? I was under the impression you didn't want a 4MP camera that is anything smaller than a 1/1.8" sensor.
It could be better, but it could be worse. I haven't had much opportunity to track anyone when it gets dark. Supplemental light is definitely a plus. Unfortunately I can't add extra light much more than on my property.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
At some point my FOV will be limited by the trees in the neighbors' yards, so I will have to reign it in a bit with where it detects and tracks.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sometimes we have to make an exception for a specific use case as there is no autotracking PTZ on the market that size or smaller with that kind of zoom. The next PTZ with that kind of zoom is 3 times the size LOL.

With just the infrared, up close it can do ok, but distances will struggle. But with IR blasters or other infrared cameras out there, it helps supplement it.

We would have all preferred they made it on the 2MP.

I have the big brother 4MP on the 1/2.8" sensor along with this one and the PTZs tend to have bigger IR than the varifocals so that helps as well.

But yes if size isn't a factor, then you would want to get the a PTZ on the recommended MP/sensor ratio.

Keizer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
But yes if size isn't a factor, then you would want to get the a PTZ on the recommended MP/sensor ratio.
I watched an unboxing video of the SD4A425DB-HNY. Even described as a "mini" it's still quite robust in size. Can't imagine larger models on the house. I think something like the SD4A425DB-HNY would be a good choice for my Cam 2 location. I'm thinking about putting one of those solar powered night time street lights out by my gate to assist which ever camera I decide on for the Cam 2 spot.

Keizer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a few of my cameras for my new system. I have decided since I live out in the toolies I don't have to worry about people complaining about lighting at night. So, for my three entry door locations (Cam 1, 3 and 6 on my top view of my house) I'm going to go with the 4K T's with the built in LED's. I really like the fact they have the large sensor, and like I mentioned there will be no complaints from the neighbors if I utilize the built in LED's. I was reading through the " Importance of focal length over MP" thread and assume the 2.8mm would work well for these entry door cameras? It says "anything within 10-15 feet of camera" which is what I'm thinking for entry door viewing.

For the Cam 2 location out front I am going to go with the SD4A425DB-HNY Ri22o recommended above. This camera location has always been the most important to me because it looks out at my gate and driveway. It will be nice to have a camera that can actually optically zoom in to see my gate and any cars going down my private drive. I have always wanted to add an LED dusk to dawn street light out by my gate so that should help alot. With my current Cam 2 (Lorex) the only way I know my gate is shut while viewing at night is because I can barely see the reflector I have mounted on the gate from the camera image. I guess the IR somehow creates a reflection?

I'm thinking I'm going to need a pretty robust POE switch for these cameras as well as the others I will be adding. Any recommendations?

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
This is obviously at my front door. The yard is a 5442 2.8mm, the view from next to the door is a 5MP 2.8mm wedge, and the above door view is a 5442 3.6mm.

Front Yard, North 2023-01-06 04.48.43.3 PM.jpg

Front_Door 2023-01-06 04.48.43.516 PM.jpg

Front_Porch 2023-01-06 04.48.43.356 PM.jpg

Keizer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
On one of my entry doors I was thinking I could go with a 3.6mm. In my photo there is alot of extra stuff in the picture that my 2.8 Lorex is showing. The PTZ cam will be about 25' to the left of this camera so it will be picking up alot of the front including the extra in my photo. Screenshot_20230329_094256_Lorex Cloud.jpg

Sammyf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Note that if you really want to be sure to always cover the view of cam 2, you should use fixed (not PTZ) there with enoug optical zoom. You can add a PTZ and use other cameras as spotters for it. With just using a PTZ there’s a risk of it looking to wrong direction when something happens. And if it won’t be used with auto tracking, it’s maybe a bit wasted money as you could just use a fixed cam (varifocal with enough optical zoom).

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
On one of my entry doors I was thinking I could go with a 3.6mm. In my photo there is alot of extra stuff in the picture that my 2.8 Lorex is showing. The PTZ cam will be about 25' to the left of this camera so it will be picking up alot of the front including the extra in my photo. View attachment 158516
It's always a trade off. With the wider angle, you get more coverage, but the DORI distances are shorter so your max distance to "identify" a subject is less with the wide angle lens than it will be with the narrower angle option. That being said, if your goal is to be able to identify someone walking up the stairs and on the porch, I don't think one camera is going to greatly out perform the other camera in this scenario. Sure the narrower focal length option would show less "extra" stuff and extend the DORI distance out farther (but it will still fall in "no man's land" - ie it isn't going to identify someone in the driveway or over by the shed IMHO). But the steps are well within the "Identify" range of the current camera, so I don't think that is a deciding factor. Honestly I don't think I would buy a replacement 3.6mm camera for this location unless you wanted to place this camera some where else and needed to buy another camera anyway.

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This is obviously at my front door. The yard is a 5442 2.8mm, the view from next to the door is a 5MP 2.8mm wedge, and the above door view is a 5442 3.6mm.
Quite helpful. I am more and more inclined to try 3.6 instead of 2.8. Might even get a 6mm for the long side of the house.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I had some weather come through the other day that took out the 2.8mm over my backyard. I wasn't sure what the issue was so I went ahead and replaced it with the 3.6mm that will assume its duty when I move it down to deck level. I could have lived without a camera there but I really wanted to be able to keep an eye on the deck as it is being built.

I realize the scene is not the same, but here are some shots to show the difference between the two focal lengths.

Deck 2023-03-30 02.10.14.743 PM.jpgBack_Yard 2023-04-03 03.24.21.348 PM.jpg

Keizer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well for now I ordered the three
I had some weather come through the other day that took out the 2.8mm over my backyard. I wasn't sure what the issue was so I went ahead and replaced it with the 3.6mm that will assume its duty when I move it down to deck level. I could have lived without a camera there but I really wanted to be able to keep an eye on the deck as it is being built.

I realize the scene is not the same, but here are some shots to show the difference between the two focal lengths.

View attachment 159046View attachment 159045
That's quite a difference. What are the specs of your new 3.6mm camera? I have read here in the forums that depending on specs some 3.6mm cameras won't make a big difference as far as focal lengths compared to a 2.8mm.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Well for now I ordered the three

That's quite a difference. What are the specs of your new 3.6mm camera? I have read here in the forums that depending on specs some 3.6mm cameras won't make a big difference as far as focal lengths compared to a 2.8mm.
Straight swap from a 2.8mm 5442 to a 3.6mm 5442.