Upgrading to PoE Injector with a separate Switch. Advice appreciated

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey all. Its been awhile since i've posted but everything within my system has been running great and thats in no small part to all the information i've learned from this site. With that being said i'm looking to upgrade some hardware and would love to hear opinions from others before I spend any money.

I'm currently running a managed 24 port Gigabit managed switch from Cisco. When the fan is running I swear I can hear the cha-ching-cha-ching-cha-ching of money draining from my bank account via the light bill. Bought this on eBay for a great price and its worked well for me, but now i'd like to attack the energy usage issue. A managed switch is way beyond my minimal IT capabilities so a downgrade there won't be a huge deal for me.

I'm also looking to add a UPS since Black Friday/Cyber Monday weekend is upon. I know @nayr has talked about about his setup, as have others so i'm hoping you guys could give me some advice on whether or not the items I'm looking at are worth it.

For background, i'm running seven (7) HikVision 3MP turrets on a BI machine. They record 24/7 and are spec'd at roughly 7.5w with the IR on. That number comes from two different websites that sell these cameras. I haven't tested directly so if anyone has information stating they draw more or less, please let me know.

Currently looking at this PoE injector.
https://www.amazon.com/WS-POE-8-48v60w-Passive-Ethernet-Injector-Cameras/dp/B0086SQDMM/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1511495395&sr=1-6&keywords=poe+injector

And this switch.
https://www.amazon.com/D-Link-16-Port-Gigabit-Switch-DGS-1016A/dp/B0092KZBCQ/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1511494749&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=16+port+gigabit+switch&psc=1

8 PoE ports are fine for what i'm working with and don't see any need to add additional cameras at this time. If i decide to add more down the road i'll cross that bridge when I come to it. As far as the injector, if they run 7.5w, times 7 cameras puts me at roughly 52.5w and the injector is listed for 60w. Would this be cutting it too close? Could I expect any overheating or failure issues? Would it be better to look at the 120w instead?

I'm also open for hearing about what size UPS others use on their particular systems. I'm only looking to power the PoE injector, switch and BI Machine off of it for say 15-20 minutes until i can get my generator kicked on.

Again, any and all opinions/advice would be appreciated.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
This switch has enough headroom on the power budget for you to not worry, if 8 cams and the uplink are enough ports. You probably won't need gigabit with just 8 cams. Downside is that it's not gigabit but the upside is that the POE is built-in. No separate midspan injector needed.

https://www.amazon.com/BV-Tech-Port-Switch-Ports-Uplink/dp/B005GAATOG/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1511540495&sr=1-3&keywords=8+port+poe+switch

Also, the injector you linked to isn't compatible with the gigabit switch you linked to. It's a 10/100 compatible injector, so you'd either have to pick a different switch or injector. For 8 cams and an uplink, the BVTech is a good deal. So is their 16 port gigabit POE+ smart switch, but the fan is a bit noisy. Two 8 port models would eliminate the fan noise and might help you with wiring if you can run a bunch of cams to 1 switch and then homerun just one wire back to the router.

I have 5 switches in my house and, strangely, that simplifies things quite a bit. One in the garage at one end of the house so I can branch cams off from there, one in the separate back building with 4 cams running from it, one 5 port switch in the entertainment center, plus 8 and 16 port gigabit switches in the computer room to handle the rest of the stuff.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Also, why would a 10/100 switch not be compatible with a gigabit switch? The data coming FROM the cameras is a slower speed going to a faster switch.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Does the mgmt interface show the power consumption of your devices? Old switches can be inefficient, but it's good to check with a kill-a-watt.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I haven't done any testing/research on energy efficiency but they should be in the same ballpark as most modern switches. As far as injectors and gigabit compatibility goes, 10/100 internet uses 4 of the 8 wires for data. Gigabit uses all 8 for data, and sharing power wires with data isn't the same thing.

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
I’ve been having a good little run of goldmines throwing stuff out just picked this ups system free it was never used batteries check out ok so my little blue iris has cost me the key licence from blue iris and a new windows 10 op system love doing these upgrades for them as they throw out some pretty good stuff got a dell server in the garage I turned that on and thought there was a jet taking off not sure what I can do with it into a ip system other than fill it full of hard drives

Attachments

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I’ve been having a good little run of goldmines throwing stuff out just picked this ups system free it was never used batteries check out ok so my little blue iris has cost me the key licence from blue iris and a new windows 10 op system love doing these upgrades for them as they throw out some pretty good stuff got a dell server in the garage I turned that on and thought there was a jet taking off not sure what I can do with it into a ip system other than fill it full of hard drives
Hey, your garage looks like my office! :winktongue:

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Daytime I’m around 46.9 watt

Nighttime with IR I’m around 63.2. Night will obviously draw more for longer this time of year given the seasons.

This is to power the Switch which powers 7 Hikvision cams as well as one PoE powered Raspberry Pi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Daytime I’m around 46.9 watt

Nighttime with IR I’m around 63.2. Night will obviously draw more for longer this time of year given the seasons.

This is to power the Switch which powers 7 Hikvision cams as well as one PoE powered Raspberry Pi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
on average the hikvisions use 3-5w.....not sure about the pi...