Upload Bandwith Question

Reaction score
We are getting ready to deploy around 38 cameras that our clients will be able to log into and view remotely. While all 38 would rarely if EVER be viewed simultaneously, I know this will still require a fair amount of upload bandwidth. The best we can do ISP wise is a 100/7Mbps connection. What resolution and framerate could I expect to get out of this connection? How could I determine the bit rate of a single camera at a given resolution and frame rate? Any suggestions on bullet cameras and server options for this project?

Reaction score
Our current setup for roughly 58 cameras is actually using 640x480 @ 5fps on a mjpeg stream. I would like to step it up to at least 720p though. Our current BI setup is piggypacking off of a sister company's fiber line and we are just trying to separate that if at all possible. Thank you for your quick response nayr. I'll try to find a bitrate calculator.

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Your question is strange you could get all 38 view at 320x240 5fps you'd better tell what are your minimum requirement what is the max camera and minimum definition/framerate you are ready to accept ? them from this you may fill 7Mbps or not and have some margin to increase max view and/or definition/framerate.

But you can easy google "video bandwidth calculator" and play with it.

edit : I didn't see your answer before posting my comment.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you should start deploying h264/h265 capable cameras, h265 will further reduce bandwidth requirements in half.. and both of those are several orders of magnitude better than MJPEG.. A 1080p h264 will be a tiny fraction of the size of your VGA MJPEG despite all the extra pixels.

If you can enable VBR and have fairly static environments, you can reduce bandwidth greately.. it really depends what you need and how you can get it.. there's also substreams that can be streamed remotely at a fraction of the bandwidth expence still using modern codecs.. so you can stream VGA and record 1080p

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Our current setup for roughly 58 cameras is actually using 640x480 @ 5fps on a mjpeg stream. I would like to step it up to at least 720p though. Our current BI setup is piggypacking off of a sister company's fiber line and we are just trying to separate that if at all possible. Thank you for your quick response nayr. I'll try to find a bitrate calculator.
If you will be using blue iris, then you can set your own max bitrate for the webserver...there are 3 profiles you can set and chose the one you wish...

Reaction score
I inherited this system and to be honest, I really don't know much about cams. I may be mistaken on how it's setup. I was looking in the webcast tab on the camera inside BI3. When I look at the web server tab under options, it does appear to be using an encoder profile using h.264 and limiting the bitrate to 512kbps. Now is this saying the overall bitrate or the per camera bitrate? The latter correct? Thanks for the info guys.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I was gonna say, with BI you set what you wanna use for remote and it will make it fit, when you view one cam it gets all of the bandwidth you set for it to use, local camera settings will be irrelevant. you're watching a secondary stream.