URGENT: HDD pinging at 100% constantly. Help please!

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Done. No change.
I'm noticing only some alerts are now actually getting through, but most get a timeout. No specific cameras are affected. Sometimes they'll detect a car, sometimes not.
It can't be the sensitivity or DS settings, because otherwise it'll say 'nothing found'. The fact that it says 'DS timeout' means that there must be a problem with DS itself, right?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Uninstall deepstack and reinstall. That has fixed a lot of deepstack problems if it was previously working. I have done that a few times when it went wonky.

delphinus

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok so I finally got a 6TB WD Purple and connected it to the system. Although in Disk Management I can't see any options for block size when it gives me a prompt to format. How do I do this? Is this even necessary on a Purple drive?
I didn't agree with what was written regarding of block size but you already had my recommendation before regarding it so I didn't comment.

Use a 64K block, you are storing big files you won't waste space and increase the life and speed of your disk.

The link how to do it show an exFAT partition you use a windows computer use NTFS also don't use ReFS.

Unless you want a clean Blueiris install makes no sense to me delete the DB.

I assume you fixed the problem of your huge swap file size.

The DB must be in your SSD but if thing still not work after the 64K block, made a test with the DB in your plates disk, like I wrote before the write speed of your SSD was wrong.

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Uninstall deepstack and reinstall.

Are there any 'approved' steps on how to correctly install Deepstack, and specifically what version I should be using? I've heard that some versions above a certain number don't work well with BI, and that you need to rename .exe files and other finnicky things.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
DeepStack Installation

The block size of a hard drive has zero impact on whether or not DeepStack works. You have other problems.

Increasing the block size to 1024, 1MB, for a drive used to store video files, large files, will reduce drive wear because the head won't end up moving around as much lining up to read small blocks, like 64KB.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I’ve set my block size to 64k, figured if it’s good enough for something as disk intensive as SQL server it’s good enough for me

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are there any 'approved' steps on how to correctly install Deepstack, and specifically what version I should be using? I've heard that some versions above a certain number don't work well with BI, and that you need to rename .exe files and other finnicky things.
You didn't answer above, but did you correctly recreate the file structure on the formated drive with windows File Explorer? It must match what Bi expects. Bi will NOT recreate the file structure for you after formatting the drive.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
My WD82PURZ 8Tb was noisy when I went away from the default Allocation Unit size. This thing is sitting under my desk in the bedroom LOL. So I reformatted and am trying it back at defaults, and it's so much quieter now. Can hear still the heads once in awhile, but not flopping around like they were when I chose ( i can't remember what size i chose) :) but it was like 64 or 128K

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
It’s nothing of the sort in reality.
If you ever saw a hard drive, internally, in operation you'd change your mind very quickly. When the drive is fresh it will write in a more "linear" fashion, but once some deletions occur the fragmentation makes the head move all over the width of the disk. It can look like a sewing machine needle in high speed operation.