URGENT: HDD pinging at 100% constantly. Help please!

jmhmcse

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
View attachment 122184

Very strange page size... currently allocated 49,152MB (49GB); that's more than 3X physical memory.

A too large paging file causes windows a lot of overhead (page file maintenance) without any return value.

I always set a 'custom size' as it forces windows to create a permanent file rather than creating a new file every boot. (also pre-size so it's as contiguous as possible and prevents dynamic expand)

On your system, Windows is recommending a page file in the 3GB range (2,922 MB)... Typically no more than half the size of physical memory will be sufficient and rarely ever 1X memory size; if you need that type of cache you really need more memory.

For 16GB of memory in your system, I'd suggest you set a custom size page file no less than 4096MB and no more than 8192MB. What ever size you pick set the Initial size AND Maximum size as the same.

My virtual memory (paging file) config for a 16GB system with a C: drive SSD is a fixed page file of 5120MB...

1647556088496.png

jmhmcse

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
When you experience the next 100% HDD, screen capture and report the following:

Using Windows Resource Monitor, select the CPU Tab. Within the Processes page sort by Image and select BlueIris.exe

1647556976571.png

Then select the Memory tab

1647557089526.png

Then select the Disk tab

1647557240075.png

For the Disk tab, if you also select the "System" PID, this would include BlueIris' open files

1647558052936.png

And finally the Overview tab

1647557413009.png

The information from these captures would help correlate HDD usage to BI operation.

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When formatting a drive for video storage set the block size to 1024 rather than the default of 4 or 16. This will reduce block fragmentation on the drive and help keep things more organized and snappy.
Ok so I finally got a 6TB WD Purple and connected it to the system. Although in Disk Management I can't see any options for block size when it gives me a prompt to format. How do I do this? Is this even necessary on a Purple drive?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Try it both ways )default )and listen to the drive heads. if it's noisy try another cluster size.
My 7200 Rpm's are bit noisier than my 5400 rpm ( all 8TB Purps) but even more "head seek clatter" or what ever it is....when I tried some other non default cluster sizes.

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok so it was working fine when I had it set to the default 4K. Deepstack was recognizing me with about 120ms latency.

Now it won't even produce any alerts. Deepstack keeps timing out with analysis times exceeding 16,000ms!

All I did was change the block size to 1024Kb. I even deleted the entire database before I formatted and regenerated a new one after I formatted. How do I fix this?

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok there's definitely something wrong happening here.

I've reformatted the drive to the default settings, but the only successful alerts I'm getting are jpeg stills. Even in 'cancelled alerts', they only show as jpegs, not video, and they say 'deepstack timeout'.
Even 'all clips' shows 'empty list'. How is this possible?

I don't know why this is happening. I haven't changed any settings within BlueIris. It was working fine before I changed the block size.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
recreate the folder names back to when they were working at 120ms deppstack?
skip deepstack for awhile and get the thing running first.
then screw around with the toys.
I get along fine without deepstack.

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
recreate the folder names back to when they were working at 120ms deppstack?
The folders haven't changed their names at all in BI during this whole ordeal.

skip deepstack for awhile and get the thing running first.
I need it working with Deepstack. If it works without it, then it's useless to me. Deepstack is 100% mission critical for me.

All clips would be empty on a new drive.
Please try to understand what I'm writing. This has been happening after I formatted. ie. NEW events.
It will now not record ANY video.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
no need to delete the database, that could be a problem, you can ask BI to repair the database and that usually straightens out a lot of stuff.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
there are no instances that I've run into with drive formatting in BI where Deleting the database was a recommendation by any Ipcamtalk guys helping me.....where did you come up with that idea?

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Rebooting the machine does absolutely nothing. All I get are jpegs and 'deepstack timeout'.
I deleted the database after I formatted the disk because I wanted to start fresh.

My settings remain unchanged however. I changed no settings during this entire time, even though I was working when I first plugged the drive in.

Can somebody help please?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Perhaps use windows recovery options to restore your pc to an earlier time . when your first instance of WD Purz 6Tb was working with Deepcrack.