Urgent: Need Quick Recommendation

Diver4242

n3wb
Reaction score
I had a setup at our old house with about six Foscam cameras (never make that mistake again) and Blue Iris. Other than the unreliability of the foscam cameras, it was great. We moved to an apartment and I left the cameras for the new owner but kept the blue iris. Now we're in an apt and have reason to believe people are coming in when we aren't here (maintenance? past renters?).

We are going away on weds so I have just enough time to get something ordered today and get it set up. Can anyone recommend a good camera for an apartment setup? Need wifi since the router is in a different room, power is available but long cord would be nice (10') We can probably get away with just monitoring the entrance door since we are high up. I looked at the Vimtag VT-361 but it isn't blue iris compatible. Or do I really care now since it's just one camera and I think some of these can record directly to our home network NAS storage? That would be good, to not have to run BI on a laptop constantly when we are away. Or to have it record to my google cloud drive storage.

Thanks in advance if anyone can reply quickly on this Sunday.

Diver4242

n3wb
Reaction score
I like what I'm seeing with these Hikvisions, but seems to be a lot of negativity with the suppliers sending Chinese versions, and they don't include AC power adapters? I can't do POE, my router is in another room.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
https://smile.amazon.com/Amcrest-IP2M-841-1920TVL-Security-Camera/dp/B0145OQTPG/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1465749369&sr=1-1&keywords=amcrest

edit: I'd be torn between catching the bastards with a camera and either changing the locks or adding a deadbolt. Do your current locks support something like the Weiser Smart Key system? That's a fast easy way to change your own key. If you go the camera route, consider adding more than one of them. One in the master bedroom, one covering the entrance(s) and living room. Place them strategically to see where they go other than the room the cam is in, if possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I like what I'm seeing with these Hikvisions, but seems to be a lot of negativity with the suppliers sending Chinese versions, and they don't include AC power adapters? I can't do POE, my router is in another room.
if you buy the laview, its a non issue. The PIR sensor and line cross detection are particularly useful in your scenario.