US Government Ban of Dahua, Hikvision, Huawei Takes Effect Now

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
this Is very old news. It is for US Government purchases only. I see no effect on prices at all.

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
this Is very old news
The 'news' is (1) that it has officially 'taken effect'. When it was passed last year there was a year before it went 'live' and there was hope among Hikvision partners that this would be reversed beforehand. (2) The rules that were released include 'essential components' of equipment, which means non-Hikua cameras that use Huawei Hisilicon chips are impcated.

This is not going to have an effect on the DIY / Andy / Aliexpress market but it is having a substantial effect in the commercial market.

Martin Paul Sr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
How do you know it won't affect DYI/Home markets and rebrand sellers like Amcrest, LaView, EZVIZ,
They mostly sell to commercial customers, but they have home-intended products and cater to home/DIY customers as well.
Or Amazon /Aliexpress stores or real stores like B&H Photo?
I just bought an IP doorbell cam (RCA branded Hikvision HSDBA2A) from B&H Photo Aug 9, received it today (got a good price, $119.99 and free shipping).
I looked at their site today and noticed that item is now discontinued.
RCA HSDB2A 3MP Wi-Fi Video Doorbell Camera

I's sure it's just a coincidence, and you can still find his item elsewhere as RCA and other brands
But I was just wondering: How you know this does not affect the consumer grade products and channels?
I seems like a huge chunk of security cams in the world, commercial and consumer, use HiVision chips and are designed & built by Hikvision and Dahua.
I think all the cams at my house are.

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
How do you know it won't affect DYI/Home markets
Tariffs might become an issue for the DIY/Home markets but the (separate) ban effect is really focused at government and those users that get funding from the government. DIY/Home is quite far from those areas.

There might be some sort of worse case scenario where the impact of the ban and tariffs combined dissuade DIY sellers from spending resources in the US. But for people like Andy they can still sell and ship directly from China. There does not seem to be any realistic scenario where the US is going to ban consumers from buying cameras like that.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
US and China make the deal today for the Phase 1, let's wait the Phase 2 coming out soon. So we can buy US beef, pork, chicken, soybean soon here in China. Price in China is crazy high for all meats . ^^