US Elections (& Politics) :)

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Trump, the Liar in Chief - from yesterday's press conference. Where does he come up with this stuff?
Where to even start from one press conference?

On mail in voting:
"Our system is not equipped for it. The Post Office is not equipped for it."

"The Postal Service has ample capacity to adjust our nationwide processing and delivery network to meet projected Election and Political Mail volume including any additional volume that may result as a response to the COVID-19 pandemic." -- US Postal Service

On the Corona Virus:
"And your numbers will be -- in 90 days or less, your numbers will be very good, I think, much better on the coronavirus or the China virus."

It's not at all clear where Trump's prediction that the coronavirus pandemic will get better in the next 90 days is coming from. In fact, most experts -- of which Trump is not one -- say that the pandemic could worsen as flu season approaches.

On a vaccine:
"I think we'll have a vaccine before the end of the year, very substantially and we may have a therapeutic resolvement very quickly, very, very quickly and frankly that's the one I'd rather have faster, because you in, you give a transfusion or a shot to people that are very ill and they'd be able to come out of the hospital, the next day or a few days later."

Where is that coming from?

On testing
"If we had much smaller testing, we would have fewer, but we feel that having testing is a very important thing."

does he not understand that testing just identifies people with it? Testing doesn't create illness.

On politicizing the virus
"We must stop politicizing the virus and instead be united in our condemnation of how this virus came to America, how this virus came to the world."

From the mouth of the politicizer in chief

The payroll tax 'deferral'
"But the payroll tax is a big deal for people. It's a tremendous saving for people. And we are going to be doing it."

Really? This is the tax that funds social security and medicare? He is going to defer it until after the election, then it will have to be paid back. If its not paid back its going to put social security into a bigger hole than its in now.

on the Affordable Care Act
"But the individual mandate will always be with us -- the individual mandate termination will always be, they can't start it up."

wtf does that even mean?

On his executive orders
"It would have been so much easier than doing it the way we did it, but we did something that's very important and frankly it's been well received, very well received."

"The pen-and-phone theory of executive lawmaking is unconstitutional slop," said Nebraska Republican Sen. Ben Sasse about the moves. He is hardly alone. Almost all constitutional scholars say they are unconstitutional. Besides some are just BS. The 'stop eviction' Executive Order only suggests federal agencies review evictions rules. There is no oder for them to do anything.

When asked about foreign meddling in the 2020 election:
"So I don't know. You know what I'm telling you? I'll tell you who's meddling in our elections. The Democrats are meddling."

Trump was asked directly whether Russia was seeking to meddle in this election. This was how the President responded. Not exactly comforting. (Also, US intelligence has made very clear Russia is seeking to interfere in the 2020 contest.)

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Trump is no liar, he just speaks whatever comes to his mind. Unfortunately, there are no validity measures in place, partly as a result of poor advisors and other elected officials across the table also to blame
There is common ground though, any commander in chief should know the ins and outs of the country before taking office. A crash course before the swearing-in ceremony would have been beneficial. Too much luxury makes you less aware of everyday problems. Leaders need to live like the average Joe to feel the real pain and suffering transcending across the very fabric of this nation. There is just too much disparity and divide and neither party can solve this problem; it needs to be addressed cohesively.

Trump, the Liar in Chief - from yesterday's press conference. Where does he come up with this stuff?
Where to even start from one press conference?

On mail in voting:
"Our system is not equipped for it. The Post Office is not equipped for it."

"The Postal Service has ample capacity to adjust our nationwide processing and delivery network to meet projected Election and Political Mail volume including any additional volume that may result as a response to the COVID-19 pandemic." -- US Postal Service

On the Corona Virus:
"And your numbers will be -- in 90 days or less, your numbers will be very good, I think, much better on the coronavirus or the China virus."

It's not at all clear where Trump's prediction that the coronavirus pandemic will get better in the next 90 days is coming from. In fact, most experts -- of which Trump is not one -- say that the pandemic could worsen as flu season approaches.

On a vaccine:
"I think we'll have a vaccine before the end of the year, very substantially and we may have a therapeutic resolvement very quickly, very, very quickly and frankly that's the one I'd rather have faster, because you in, you give a transfusion or a shot to people that are very ill and they'd be able to come out of the hospital, the next day or a few days later."

Where is that coming from?

On testing
"If we had much smaller testing, we would have fewer, but we feel that having testing is a very important thing."

does he not understand that testing just identifies people with it? Testing doesn't create illness.

On politicizing the virus
"We must stop politicizing the virus and instead be united in our condemnation of how this virus came to America, how this virus came to the world."

From the mouth of the politicizer in chief

The payroll tax 'deferral'
"But the payroll tax is a big deal for people. It's a tremendous saving for people. And we are going to be doing it."

Really? This is the tax that funds social security and medicare? He is going to defer it until after the election, then it will have to be paid back. If its not paid back its going to put social security into a bigger hole than its in now.

on the Affordable Care Act
"But the individual mandate will always be with us -- the individual mandate termination will always be, they can't start it up."

wtf does that even mean?

On his executive orders
"It would have been so much easier than doing it the way we did it, but we did something that's very important and frankly it's been well received, very well received."

"The pen-and-phone theory of executive lawmaking is unconstitutional slop," said Nebraska Republican Sen. Ben Sasse about the moves. He is hardly alone. Almost all constitutional scholars say they are unconstitutional. Besides some are just BS. The 'stop eviction' Executive Order only suggests federal agencies review evictions rules. There is no oder for them to do anything.

When asked about foreign meddling in the 2020 election:
"So I don't know. You know what I'm telling you? I'll tell you who's meddling in our elections. The Democrats are meddling."

Trump was asked directly whether Russia was seeking to meddle in this election. This was how the President responded. Not exactly comforting. (Also, US intelligence has made very clear Russia is seeking to interfere in the 2020 contest.)

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Please tell me what can be done to stop a politically motivated postal worker from "losing" ballots between the time they are picked up from an outgoing mail box and delivered to the postal facility? Physical polling places have workers assigned to oversee the process. With USPS there are times where ballots are in the custody of a single person with no oversight.

Please tell me what assurance a voter has that his ballot will actually be delivered and counted. I'm in a mandatory vote-by-mail state and was disenfranchised once a few years ago when the lock on the outgoing box was jammed and my ballot didn't get delivered in time to be counted. Ever since the I drive my ballot to the county office, adding a lot of CO2 to the atmosphere.

As far as the liar-in-chief goes, Trump is the first president in my lifetime to use the Democrat's tactics. Looks like they don't like it used against them. Saying this as somebody who lost my doctor and lost my health insurance.

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Jessie you might be 100% correct. That may be Trump's idea, defund the USPS until he can get that 'sweetheart deal' Amazon (and others) have with the post office. Those so called sweetheart deals are one of the only things profitable for the USPS.
Trump's solution?
Put this guy in charge of it. He is uniquely unqualified and has already cut overtime - that, btw, slows down deliveries.
Louis DeJoy, who has been a top donor to Trump and the Republican National Committee, was in charge of fundraising for the 2020 Republican National Convention.

In case no one knows it, the USPS is not a private company whose aim is to make $$$. Its a public service. This hack who is now in charge will only make the service worse.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Whether the USPS "loses" those paper ballots or they get "lost" somewhere else along the way the point is that they can, and will, be lost or altenately bundles of them will be found sometime after the close of the election, a la Wierdafornia. Next add in the lack of staff and infrastructure at the local level to open, check, authenticate and count those ballots. Then throw in the time it will take to do that and the fact that mailing a ballot to everyone on the voting roles means sending ballots to dead people, people that moved, pets, and anything else with a name and mail-in voting is a total sham. Look at that NY special election and it took them a month an a half to declare a winner and even now they really aren't sure if that was actually the winner. Here in the Great Nanny State it took two weeks to count the votes after disqualifying over 20% of them and, as usual, it all went Demoncrat. I was determined not to use a mail-in ballot and went to the polling location where I was handed that exact, same, paper ballot. What a bunch of bullshit. The primary was a dry run to see how to tamper with the general election.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Jessie you might be 100% correct. That may be Trump's idea, defund the USPS until he can get that 'sweetheart deal' Amazon (and others) have with the post office. Those so called sweetheart deals are one of the only things profitable for the USPS.
Trump's solution?
Put this guy in charge of it. He is uniquely unqualified and has already cut overtime - that, btw, slows down deliveries.
Louis DeJoy, who has been a top donor to Trump and the Republican National Committee, was in charge of fundraising for the 2020 Republican National Convention.

In case no one knows it, the USPS is not a private company whose aim is to make $$$. Its a public service. This hack who is now in charge will only make the service worse.
I don't know enough about that to comment. You may be right. It should be privatized though. A government business that loses money year after year, subsidies Amazon with my tax dollars, and wants more is no good.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Speaking of mobs of THUGS, where have all the BLM defenders gone?

Link
Black Lives Matter holds rally in Chicago to support those arrested after looting, unrest

“I don’t care if someone decides to loot a Gucci or a Macy’s or a Nike store, because that makes sure that person eats,” said Ariel Atkins, a BLM organizer, according to NBC Chicago. “That makes sure that person has clothes.” “That is reparations,” Atkins continued. “Anything they wanted to take, they can take it because these businesses have insurance.”

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Father of Kamala Harris Says Her Ancestors Owned Slaves

Dated but relevant.

The father of Kamala Harris detailed how their ancestors owned slaves, an inconvenient part of her history as she has spent much of her campaign focusing on race politics.

The Democrats have been up in arms about an NBC News report that detailed how Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell’s great-great-grandfathers owned slaves in Alabama in the 1800s.

Donald Harris, a Stanford University economics professor and father of 2020 Democrat candidate, wrote about how they are descendant of an Irishman who owned a slave plantation in Jamaica in a piece titled “Reflections of a Jamaican Father.”

“My roots go back, within my lifetime, to my paternal grandmother Miss Chrishy (née Christiana Brown, descendant of Hamilton Brown who is on record as plantation and slave owner and founder of Brown’s Town),” Mr. Harris wrote in his article for Jamaica Global.

The Free Beacon reports that “a research archive of Jamaican records indicate that at one point in 1817, Hamilton Brown owned scores of slaves. The majority were brought in from Africa, though he also owned many Creole slaves.”

Harris has been pushing for “some form of reparations for black people,” saying that “we have to be honest that people in this country do not start from the same place or have access to the same opportunities.” Apparently, she should be looking into the history of her own family.

McConnell has responded to the reports about his ancestors by pointing out that the family of former President Barack Obama also owned slaves.

“You know, I find myself once again in the same position as President Obama,” McConnell said. “We both oppose reparations, and we both are the descendants of slaveholders.”

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Should be interesting to see how many supporting in the Democratic Party side take this...

How Kamala Harris Fought to Keep Nonviolent Prisoners Locked Up
As California attorney general, she spent years subverting a 2011 Supreme Court ruling requiring the state to reduce its prison population. The overseeing judicial panel nearly found the state in contempt of court.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Joe Biden is talking into the phone while holding it backwards. Bwahahahahahahahahaha

Joe Biden Reads from Script While Talking to Kamala Harris on Zoom

1:29 Former Vice President Joe Biden appeared to have a script before him during a video call via Zoom with Sen. Kamala Harris (D-CA), who was selected by his campaign to be his running mate on Tuesday. One America News’s Jack Posobiec made the observation on Twitter while sharing a photo released by Adam Schultz, the photographer for Biden’s presidential campaign.

Schultz photographed Biden during a video call with Harris, describing the image as capturing the moment Biden advised Harris of her selection. “[Joe Biden] picks [Kamala Harris] for VP at his home in Delaware today over zoom,” he wrote on his Instagram post.