US Elections (& Politics) :)

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes the teaching of history is very important and can be used in nefarious ways if we do not keep watch on it.

Back in the late 1990's we had a foreign exchange student from Germany come live with us. She was 16 at the start of the school year. She grew up in the far Eastern side of Germany, just across the Polish boarder. So this was at one time communist East Germany.

Now she was a smart girl. She could speak English, French, Russian, and of course German. Each was so fluent, that the high school she was in here asked her to help judge several language competitions. But when it came to history, she was not doing well. Her teacher gave us a call and we learned that what she believed was quite different than what was boing taught here.

She knew nothing of Nazis, concentration camps, or much of anything about WW2. Long story short, she did not want to believe anything that was being taught about that in our school. But she gradually became curious and picked a topic for a semester report that caused her to go to the Museum in downtown Houston, by herself, and view the Holocaust displays. She said it made her cry and she just could not understand how none of that was even mentioned in her school's history class.
This has changed in Germany, I was there twice in the past 3 years. They have very strict laws stopping any suppression of Nazi history and you can go to jail if you denounce the Holocaust "Nazi Grandma". Not like Poland who tried to erase history.
Five fluent languages is pretty common for most there with their trade borders of different languages. English is taught/considered as the International Business language.

Reaction score
What the WSJ has to say about Biden.
Boy that was quite an ear full. Why don't they push these ideas more often? Just trying to sound unbiased just in case?

Voters have little idea about these policies because Mr. Biden mentions them only in the most vague, general terms. The press barely reports them. Americans may think they’re voting for Joe’s persona, but they will get the platform of Kamala Harris, Nancy Pelosi, Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Boy that was quite an ear full. Why don't they push these ideas more often? Just trying to sound unbiased just in case?

Voters have little idea about these policies because Mr. Biden mentions them only in the most vague, general terms. The press barely reports them. Americans may think they’re voting for Joe’s persona, but they will get the platform of Kamala Harris, Nancy Pelosi, Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders.
Haha, I stopped there too and read it a couple of times, haha, the Truth is Out :)

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
She knew nothing of Nazis, concentration camps, or much of anything about WW2. Long story short, she did not want to believe anything that was being taught about that in our school. But she gradually became curious and picked a topic for a semester report that caused her to go to the Museum in downtown Houston, by herself, and view the Holocaust displays. She said it made her cry and she just could not understand how none of that was even mentioned in her school's history class.
Very interesting! My wife is 54 years old and was born and raised in Augsburg Germany. When she was in high school, WWII was required learning and included a mandatory field trip to a concentration camp--in her case the closest camp was Dachau. The whole experience was quite humbling to her. So I suppose WWII education in Germany is location-dependent. I'd ask my wife but she's working for the state election commission right now--coincidentally, she just became a US citizen last year, so she wanted to do something patriotic. By the way, we had an opportunity to visit Dachau a few years back; short of being there during the war, I couldn't picture a more grisly scene. Auf weidersehen!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This has changed in Germany, I was there twice in the past 3 years. They have very strict laws stopping any suppression of Nazi history and you can go to jail if you denounce the Holocaust "Nazi Grandma". Not like Poland who tried to erase history.
Five fluent languages is pretty common for most there with their trade borders of different languages. English is taught/considered as the International Business language.
FYI - regarding Poland... the entire question of "Poland trying to erase history" is similar to much of the fake news we are getting on Trump right now .. dig more into it and you will see that it is not true.

Poland which lost iirc 20% of it's population and was attacked by both the Soviets and Nazi's was not attempting to erase history but attempting to stop the Russian propaganda demonizing Poland since the Soviet times.

The death camps were not Polish run death camps..

Mateusz Morawiecki

Jan 27, 2018

Auschwitz is the most bitter lesson on how evil ideologies can lead to hell on earth. Jews, Poles, and all victims should be guardians of the memory of all who were murdered by German Nazis. Auschwitz-Birkenau is not a Polish name, and Arbeit Macht Frei is not a Polish phrase.

1604086655488.png

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Very interesting! My wife is 54 years old and was born and raised in Augsburg Germany. When she was in high school, WWII was required learning and included a mandatory field trip to a concentration camp--in her case the closest camp was Dachau. The whole experience was quite humbling to her. So I suppose WWII education in Germany is location-dependent. I'd ask my wife but she's working for the state election commission right now--coincidentally, she just became a US citizen last year, so she wanted to do something patriotic. By the way, we had an opportunity to visit Dachau a few years back; short of being there during the war, I couldn't picture a more grisly scene. Auf weidersehen!
"Very Interesting!", Sargent Shultz :) my wife is Also from Augsburg. She was a military brat, still is a brat, lol. We were in Augsburg in 2017, your wife may know this downtown market:

1604087187351.png

Trucks to the Right :):
1604087400194.png

Attachments

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI - regarding Poland... the entire question of "Poland trying to erase history" is similar to much of the fake news we are getting on Trump right now .. dig more into it and you will see that it is not true.

Poland which lost iirc 20% of it's population and was attacked by both the Soviets and Nazi's was not attempting to erase history but attempting to stop the Russian propaganda demonizing Poland since the Soviet times.

The death camps were not Polish run death camps..

Mateusz Morawiecki
Jan 27, 2018

Auschwitz is the most bitter lesson on how evil ideologies can lead to hell on earth. Jews, Poles, and all victims should be guardians of the memory of all who were murdered by German Nazis. Auschwitz-Birkenau is not a Polish name, and Arbeit Macht Frei is not a Polish phrase.

View attachment 73764
Thanks for the correction, I do remember all the hype in 2018, now looking into it, makes sense they wanted to distanced themselves from any involvement.

1604087870533.png

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
"Very Interesting!", Sargent Shultz :) my wife is Also from Augsburg. She was a military brat, still is a brat, lol. We were in Augsburg in 2017, your wife may know this downtown market:
That's awesome--it's time for another visit! She still has several aunts, uncles and cousins we stay with when we go. She loves Bavaria (of course), so she'll be happy to hear you were recently there! Thanks for the photos--I'll show her when she gets home :D
DSC00153.JPGDSC00269.JPGDSC00348.JPG

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the correction, I do remember all the hype in 2018, now looking into it, makes sense they wanted to distanced themselves from any involvement.

View attachment 73769
FYI - impressive history

Witold Pilecki (13 May 1901 – 25 May 1948; Polish pronunciation: [ˈvitɔlt piˈlɛt͡skʲi]; codenames Roman Jezierski, Tomasz Serafiński, Druh, Witold) was a Polish cavalry officer, intelligence agent, and resistance leader. During World War II, he volunteered to be captured by the Nazis and embedded in Auschwitz concentration camp, to understand the nature of the camp, which was not known at the time. After his escape several years later, he wrote Witold's Report, the first comprehensive intelligence report on the atrocities of the Holocaust.[1]

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That's awesome--it's time for another visit! She still has several aunts, uncles and cousins we stay with when we go. She loves Bavaria (of course), so she'll be happy to hear you were recently there! Thanks for the photos--I'll show her when she gets home :D
View attachment 73770View attachment 73771View attachment 73772
That is a shot from the bridge :), we were there in 2018...

:offtopic:
1604089285176.png1604089316607.png1604089358597.png

Sorry guys for :offtopic:, got excited going back through all my pictures...Ok back to trashing Biden :)

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI - impressive history

Witold Pilecki (13 May 1901 – 25 May 1948; Polish pronunciation: [ˈvitɔlt piˈlɛt͡skʲi]; codenames Roman Jezierski, Tomasz Serafiński, Druh, Witold) was a Polish cavalry officer, intelligence agent, and resistance leader. During World War II, he volunteered to be captured by the Nazis and embedded in Auschwitz concentration camp, to understand the nature of the camp, which was not known at the time. After his escape several years later, he wrote Witold's Report, the first comprehensive intelligence report on the atrocities of the Holocaust.[1]

Talk about a suicide mission...Wow

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
My wife is 54 years old and was born and raised in Augsburg Germany.
my wife is Also from Augsburg
Too crazy. Mine's from Rain am Lech ~35 km north of Augsburg. Worked at the army base in Augsburg. Is there something about Bavarian wives that make their husbands want IP cameras?

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Too crazy. Mine's from Rain am Lech ~35 km north of Augsburg. Worked at the army base in Augsburg. Is there something about Bavarian wives that make their husbands want IP cameras?
That's cool! She's probably been to Regensburg a hundred times (I'll bet you've been there too!) Now I have multiple posts to show her tonight :D My wife's Aunt and Uncle live in Wertingen (about halfway between Augsburg and Rain am Lech).

Edit: Biden is a criminal. :D

Reaction score
What the WSJ has to say about Biden.

The Biden Contradiction
Additionally, from this quote: "...The former Vice President is running as a reassuring moderate, a man of good character who can reunite the country and crush Covid-19 after the disruptive Trump Presidency."

What it fails to disclose that it was the MSM and the Dems that MADE the Trump presidency disruptive. This was not Trump's doing. The media, Liberal Left, and the elected Democrats all made this last four years hell. It was calculated and was wrong. It IS their hope that people will be so tired of it all that they will vote against Trump and the conservatives to just shut the left up.

PS: My exchange student was from Cottbus.

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

View attachment 73766
She says she knows that market very well and has been there many times :D She is a fan of German beer, but doesn't think Hasen-Brau (Augsburg brewery) quite measures up to some of the country's better known beers.

Biden is a criminal.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
My favorite German beer is Unterbaarer from a small brewery in Rain am Lech. Over the years I've hauled a lot of it back in suitcases. The first time I visited the family over there I got smashed on a bottle of local beer, tripped and disappeared down a small flight of stairs, and everybody wondered how I was just gone without a trace. Lots of hilarious incidents of trying to speak German from travel tape learnings. I said a bunch of very absurd things. The days long birthday parties were new to me, and I learned the hard way to not order a pepperoni pizza (because pepperoni to them is peppers). What does this have to do with the election? It's helping to make this thread a candidate for the most posts record.
unterbarrer (Small).jpg

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My favorite German beer is Unterbaarer from a small brewery in Rain am Lech. Over the years I've hauled a lot of it back in suitcases. The first time I visited the family over there I got smashed on a bottle of local beer, tripped and disappeared down a small flight of stairs, and everybody wondered how I was just gone without a trace. Lots of hilarious incidents of trying to speak German from travel tape learnings. I said a bunch of very absurd things. The days long birthday parties were new to me, and I learned the hard way to not order a pepperoni pizza (because pepperoni to them is peppers). What does this have to do with the election? It's helping to make this thread a candidate for the most posts record.
View attachment 73814
Weiss Bier (Wheat Beer) I favor...Kind a like them all. One trip to Austria, every village we went to had it's own beer, was fun trying them all.
Oh and our last trip in 2018 we made it to the Hofbrauhaus in Munich

1604110700820.png1604111258128.png1604111743578.png

Last edited: