usability of SD data exports IPC-HDW5831R-ZE

grapedaddy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What can display the .dav or .mp4 files downloaded from the web interface of an IPC-HDW5831R-ZE ?

VLC can't and gives and error about the "hev1" codec which I think is H.265. Smart Player will partially display them but the video skips around with a green screen much of the time --same with Media Player. The exported .mp4 files played in Win10 app "Movies 7 TV" just displays a still image for the duration.

I count on having the SD data when something goes wrong with my network or my NVR. Is this a common problem with H.265 ? Ideally I would want to hand these files over with a stand-alone viewer that doesn't have to be installed like my Hanwha cameras --but that can be for another day.

current update of Windows 10

H.265
IPC-HDW5831R-ZE
System VersionV2.800.0000008.0.R, Build Date: 2019-06-19Found New Version
WEB VersionV3.2.1.749079
ONVIF Version16.12(V2.4.3.651299)
S/N4GACY9JT2XFE256
Security Baseline VersionV1.4

Thank you for reading down this far.
---end---

grapedaddy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Try using ffmpeg to mp4... It appears that you can use ffmpeg to encode to H.265, so I would think it would be able to decode/convert to a H.264 mp4 file.

FFmpeg
Download Video & Audio from Dahua IPC-HDBW5421E-Z
Thank you. ffmpeg version 4.2 using the command line:

ffmpeg -f hevc -i 1.dav ffDav2mp4.mp4

did not yield a usable result and "ffmpeg -f hevc -i 1.dav ffDav2mp4.mp4" errored out "Conversion Failed"
---end---

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thank you. ffmpeg version 4.2 using the command line:

ffmpeg -f hevc -i 1.dav ffDav2mp4.mp4

did not yield a usable result and "ffmpeg -f hevc -i 1.dav ffDav2mp4.mp4" errored out "Conversion Failed"
---end---
I thought .dav was a bastardized H.264/H.265 format...maybe it's encrypted some way too. My only other guess is:

ffmpeg -y -i hevc 1.dav -codec:v copy vid.mkv
fmpeg -i 1.dav -x265-params crf=25 vid.mp4

grapedaddy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you for trying but no joy. At best I get a converted video that is about the same [unusable] as playing the original downloaded .dav file in Smart Player. I'm guessing that if Smart Player can't play the original .dav file, then converting it to another format probably won't help. At best the converted end result is just as bad as the mp4's downloaded from the web interface of the camera.
---end---

grapedaddy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I discovered that turning off the "Smart Codec" feature in the camera video settings made the SD recordings usable. Now the mp4's exported from the web interface work. I don't know, but I'm guessing that since that feature lowered the network bandwidth of the stream, then it must have been something like H.265+ encoding instead of the H.265 I had previously indicated.

Now the original question can be corrected to: What viewer or conversion process can cope with H.265+ or similar mp4's.
---end---