USB type webcams unhappiness...

Reaction score
I am having a problem with 2 screen capture filters posing as USB webcams (devices) and upsetting the use of these cameras. The two bad guys in this plot are:

USScreenCapture and Byte Scout Screen Capturing Filter
This is on two different PC's.

I first noticed this with a program on a 10 day trial called Handy AVI where one of them was suddenly listed as a webcam choice and I could not launch the real webcam. I could not resolve that issue and the trial ended and I am not sure if I could of fixed that problem or not.

Then I loaded a Java based webcam program called Yawcam. This worked fine for the first day but the Byte Scout screen camera has hijacked that one and the USB webcam has a malfunction. There were hundreds of overlapping desktop views and then the Byte Scout launched itself in a new window mirroring the desktop. That cam now has a total crash/malfunction.

On the free X Protect Smart Client the one cam was stable for 3 months now that single camera cannot load. (On a Win 8.1 PC)

Then in Blue Iris one was listed also in the screen capture tab (USScreen...) and I cannot connect with 2 different USB cams with BI and one had a error code of: 80040217()1005.

Today the USB camera was found and was stable for like 60 minutes but then that cam crashed and Windows says there was a device malfunction and I had to reboot the PC.

So I understand that the USScreen program is a part on windows but what about the Byte Scout one? I think it is causing most of my problems. Can I try to delete that?

Does anyone know of a stable webcam software for USB cams that has motion detect at a minimum? It does not have to send out to the web.

(Note: On my Logitech HD USB cam the internal software has been stable and it has motion detect but not a full screen view.)

So out of 2 PC's, 4 software programs and 4 USB cams, all different, I only have one cam working at present and have been troubleshooting for 2 hours or so. When I first started out years ago with BI the USB cams were generally stable but still had various problems.

Does anybody run a mixture of USB cams in a stable configuration?
What would you do?

Thanks,
Bill

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am having a problem with 2 screen capture filters posing as USB webcams (devices) and upsetting the use of these cameras. The two bad guys in this plot are:

USScreenCapture and Byte Scout Screen Capturing Filter
This is on two different PC's.

I first noticed this with a program on a 10 day trial called Handy AVI where one of them was suddenly listed as a webcam choice and I could not launch the real webcam. I could not resolve that issue and the trial ended and I am not sure if I could of fixed that problem or not.

Then I loaded a Java based webcam program called Yawcam. This worked fine for the first day but the Byte Scout screen camera has hijacked that one and the USB webcam has a malfunction. There were hundreds of overlapping desktop views and then the Byte Scout launched itself in a new window mirroring the desktop. That cam now has a total crash/malfunction.

On the free X Protect Smart Client the one cam was stable for 3 months now that single camera cannot load. (On a Win 8.1 PC)

Then in Blue Iris one was listed also in the screen capture tab (USScreen...) and I cannot connect with 2 different USB cams with BI and one had a error code of: 80040217()1005.

Today the USB camera was found and was stable for like 60 minutes but then that cam crashed and Windows says there was a device malfunction and I had to reboot the PC.

So I understand that the USScreen program is a part on windows but what about the Byte Scout one? I think it is causing most of my problems. Can I try to delete that?

Does anyone know of a stable webcam software for USB cams that has motion detect at a minimum? It does not have to send out to the web.

(Note: On my Logitech HD USB cam the internal software has been stable and it has motion detect but not a full screen view.)

So out of 2 PC's, 4 software programs and 4 USB cams, all different, I only have one cam working at present and have been troubleshooting for 2 hours or so. When I first started out years ago with BI the USB cams were generally stable but still had various problems.

Does anybody run a mixture of USB cams in a stable configuration?
What would you do?

Thanks,
Bill
I think your issue is the software you are running to emulate the webcams....if you just ran webcams you would be fine..though you are probably better off with ip cameras...
As far as other software, since you dont need remote view, you can try ispy...note that they charge a monthly fee for remote view and alerts (the alerts are limited to something like 100 a month - they are nuts)...

Reaction score
Fenderman: Thanks! I think I'll try Ispy on my least problematic PC and if it's stable I can see how many USB cams it can hold,
I would use no more than 3.

Take care,

Bill