Using a laptop and mini cameras

Reaction score
I’m looking at using a old work pc a hp 6550b that’s basically a Intel Core i5 450M / 2.4 GHz

Plan b is a old htpc I have which is a amd a10 (I’ll have to get what model)

Also with both can you just run the purple wd drive in a external case?

Also I’m looking for a small camera to run as a door bell camera. Any ideas?

Reaction score
I did they reccomened an i7 but have heard reports of success with i5’s neither of the pc’s I want to use are listed.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I did they reccomened an i7 but have heard reports of success with i5’s neither of the pc’s I want to use are listed.
you did not...the wiki does not recommend using an i7...in fact, "i7" is a meaningless term...for example an i7 first gen is a terrible blue iris processor.
you also dont state your load...read the wiki - top of this forum

Reaction score
They reccomened several i7’s and some i5’s I know my 450m may be on the low powered side but they don’t mention amd’s at all.

Not sure if the software since it’s a high cpu load been designed arround the Intel series of chips or not.

Also it mentions stay away from ‘t’ version processors as these are low powered versions. Not sure if my mobile processor would fall under a similar class. Plus I’m not sure how the 450m lines up with any of the mentioned i5’s/i7’s

Load wise it ideally 4x 2mp starlight cameras. Plus I’ll play with some smaller cameras such as the wyzecam or other units based of same design. Which I know means custom firmware.
I’ll also run some smaller doorbell style camera.
Wyzecams style cams will only be only beinside shooting over a short distance. In gun room ect

May I bog down my cpu under that load Maybee but since I own the hardware for that it seems pointless buying xxxx desktop.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
They reccomened several i7’s and some i5’s I know my 450m may be on the low powered side but they don’t mention amd’s at all.
#1: I googled 'i5-450m' and first results says no Intel 'Quick Sync' video hardware
Not sure if the software since it’s a high cpu load been designed arround the Intel series of chips or not.
#2: The wiki explains the hardware-accelerated H.264 decoding.
Also it mentions stay away from ‘t’ version processors as these are low powered versions. Not sure if my mobile processor would fall under a similar class. Plus I’m not sure how the 450m lines up with any of the mentioned i5’s/i7’s
See #1, above.
May I bog down my cpu under that load Maybee but since I own the hardware for that it seems pointless buying xxxx desktop.
Pointless? Did you even read the wiki? Sounds like your mind is made up, not sure why you posted your question in the first place. You asked, you were advised. Please don't say you didn't know if you are not happy with the outcome.

Reaction score
My load will be 10-15mp well under the 40mp that some people run on there intels

Why no love for AMD’s then?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My load will be 10-15mp well under the 40mp that some people run on there intels

Why no love for AMD’s then?
Because they are overpriced and use more power... You can run your load on a $100 used 3rd generation I-5... Search The Forum for Optiplex and HP 8300 and Elitedesk...