Using A PoE Switch to Connect to NVR

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I do recall (wish I could find that thread) that there might be a limitation on how many cameras can share that wire/port.....
Oh boy. That might be an issue then. We were hoping to put 5 on a switch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Just started setting up one NVR on the bench. Connected first camera to POE port on NVR and did the Initialization on the NVR. It picked it up right away.

Then plugged POE switch uplink port into NVR POE port. Connected camera to switch and NVR found it an initialized it! Then connected another camera to the POE port and the NVR also recognized that!

So it looks like I am in business running a POE switch off of the NVR's POE port and adding multiple cameras there!

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Is it assigning them separate IP's in the 10.1.1.x range?
It is! 10.1.1.71,72,etc. The very first attempt the initialization failed. So I manually set it to .50 address. But then the rest worked and it automatically continued in the 70s range.

In the camera list the direct connection cameras show "Port 7" or whatever physical POE port they are plugged into. And the cams on the separate POE switch show the "37777" camera port.

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
It is! 10.1.1.71,72,etc. The very first attempt the initialization failed. So I manually set it to .50 address. But then the rest worked and it automatically continued in the 70s range.

In the camera list the direct connection cameras show "Port 7" or whatever physical POE port they are plugged into. And the cams on the separate POE switch show the "37777" camera port.

Alright, maybe I confused something in my experimenting last night. Trying to add a fourth camera to the POE switch and it's giving me hell. When I hit initialize, I manually set an IP address and it said it successfully initialized. However, in the camera list it still shows the default IP address 192.168.0.108 and won't connect to the camera.

The experiment continues...

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
You may have hit that limit wall I mentioned. Now that I recall, it may have been 3 to an individual port...?

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Update! I just added another camera to the POE switch. Steps were as follows:
This is NVR4108-8P-4KS2 and all cameras are the IPC-T5241TM-AS model.
  1. Plug camera into POE switch (external one, not the NVR's built in one).
  2. In NVR go to Main Menu > Camera > Camera List
  3. Use Search Device button to search for the camera, which will appear in the top list with it's default IP address 192.168.1.108
  4. Check the box for the camera and select Initialize
  5. Accept using NVR email/password
  6. It brings you to a page to set the IP address. I picked an IP address outside of what the NVR is assigning cameras that are connected directly to it (10.1.1.5x - NVR is assigning 10.1.1.7x and up).
  7. Set the IP to 10.1.1.53 and gateway to 10.1.1.1 (NVR switch address).
  8. Clicked next and it initialized the camera with a successful IP change.
  9. Back to the camera list, do a search again and the camera will show up with it's newly assigned IP address.
  10. Check the box next to the camera in the list and click Add.
  11. Camera will move to the added device list and after a few seconds you should get a green status. The NVR will automatically assign it to a channel that is not in use.
So you do have to manually set the camera's IP address to one outside the NVR's default range, but you can do it all through the NVR without needing to access the camera's web GUI. I now have 5 cameras running off of an external POE switch with it's uplink port plugged into a single port on the NVR's built in POE switch.

It does appear that the cameras on the POE switch lag slightly behind the direct-connect one I have. Likely to be expected since all are sharing a single uplink port.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI - adding this diagram I just created for another user... ( link below )

Example of a home network diagram with a NVR + external PoE switch.

1639247571133.png