Using a switch for Hikvision cameras and NVR

revvr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've had my system working really well for about 2 years now, but now I might have to move the NVR. I like to monitor cameras using HDMI and I'm not very fond of the web interface, even on the local network.

Instead of running multiple cables to the new location, I was wondering if I could get away with using some sort of switch where the current NVR sits and then run a single cable to the new location of the NVR.

Is this possible? Will it work? Any other alternatives?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Does the (unspecified) NVR have PoE ports and are the cameras wired in to them?
If so, you'd need to acquire a PoE switch to connect and power the cameras.
And you'd need to re-configure the NVR and cameras to allow for the fact that the cameras would be LAN-connected instead of NVR-PoE-connected.

Presumably you have a router / switch that you'd consider to be your 'core network'.
If that has Gigabit ports - you could connect the NVR to that, and connect the new switch to that also.

revvr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry, I left out some facts.

I have the HikVision DS-7608NI-E2/8P NVR. Cameras are running straight to it as it has PoE.

I figured that I'd need a switch with PoE, but I'm not sure how to run it.

Your suggestion seems to be camera -> switch -> router.

I was wondering if camera -> switch -> NVR -> Router would be possible. This way I would use a single port on the router for the whole thing.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I was wondering if camera -> switch -> NVR -> Router would be possible. This way I would use a single port on the router for the whole thing.
The NVR just has one LAN port, so that is not possible. You can't connect the NVR to both the switch and router.
But NVR to switch and router to switch would be OK.
Or NVR to router and switch to router - but that would need a fast router, with Gigabit ports, that isn't going to be bothered by the camera traffic.

revvr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Here's my current setup:
So, based on what you say, the best way of doing this is connecting NVR to Router and Switch to Router, right?

Is there a guide on what I should do to indicate to the NVR that it should record from cameras? I'm assuming I'm going to have to go fully manual for this, no DHCP?

For the PoE Switch, I'm assuming it can be either managed or unmanaged, right?

EDIT:

So is this what you are proposing? (I would have to go through Google Wifi AP because of location)

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
(I would have to go through Google Wifi AP because of location)
Pushing all that camera traffic to the NVR over WiFi would not work well, there would be congestion and connection drops.
Wiring the NVR to the new PoE switch would be best - but presumably that's not feasible.

revvr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I apologize again for my ridiculous omissions.

I plan to run a wired connection between the Google Wifi node in the image and the main Google Wifi unit. I hope it will be less than 100m overall, so I should get good speed out of it.

If I wire the NVR to the new PoE switch, I'd have to run 2 cables.