Using Cat cable for HDCVI + XVR - Advice?

ermac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi, I am currently running RG59 coax cable for 9 Dahua Ultra series 2MP starlight cams. They are great cams!

I am starting to pick up video signal issues (loss of signal, ground loop looking interference such as rolling lines etc) due to some of the cables that run under ground in conduit most probably collecting water, cams have been up for about a year but cable is much, much older. I went top range HDCVI a year ago when replacing the old analog system instead of IP as I already had the coax in place, and because logistically installing new cable is a nightmare due to the length of the cable runs and the complexity of the site.

However, due to the issues I am starting to pick up on some of the feeds, some cables have to be replaced, so I am considering replacing all the camera cables now (possibly something I should of done in the first place when I changed the cameras a year ago). Now I was thinking, maybe I should run Cat5e/6 using baluns instead of RG59 on the same cameras, the pros would be future proofing the infrastructure so when cams get replaced sometime in the future they can be moved to IP (I could even add some extra IP cams now as I am running a 16ch tribrid Dahua Pro Series XVR which supports both HDCVI and IP cameras up to 5mp per channel).

Cables runs from cameras to XVR are around 80-100m / 260-320 ft each.
  1. Has anyone had any experience running HDCVI cameras over Cat with baluns - and if so what is your experience on quality and video reliability (any issues with interference etc. especially over long runs such as mine)? The Dahua rep told me they don't advise it for the HDCVI cams as it's not ideal and there is a slight loss in quality, is this true?

2. And finally any thoughts on if I should stick to coax runs (replacing existing coax with coax) or replace coax with cat 5e/6 and using baluns on the HDCVI cams?

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I've been running my 8 home cams over Cat5 since 2014 since my first set of POA (plain old analog) cams. Now Ultra HDCVI... you've seen the quality, especially with the Starlights.

Admittedly my longest run is just 80ft.. the only problem I had was with a bad common power supply. Had some interference (ground loop) on one camera early on. I ended up with wall worts into a power strip. yeah its not pretty but its hidden on a shelf in a rather difficult spot to access so not in view.

Attachments

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
yes those are the inexpensive ones I use. For longer distances those powered Dahua versions may be the ticket however

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
neither are powered, one just has the ability to carry power along the CatX cable to run the camera...

usaf_pride

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
neither are powered, one just has the ability to carry power along the CatX cable to run the camera...
They are HDVCI cameras, so they are powered independently, but if you need passthru, those balun's are available as well.

Last edited: