Using Core i7-2620m old laptop for Blue Iris?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, I would be using Dahua starlight 2mp cameras?
it would be ok for 12 dahua 2mp as well...but if you intend to run h.265 instead of h.264 I would buy an i5-6500 that will eventually support h.265 hardware acceleration with BI...

chris70cuda

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
it would be ok for 12 dahua 2mp as well...but if you intend to run h.265 instead of h.264 I would buy an i5-6500 that will eventually support h.265 hardware acceleration with BI...

Ok, I look search computers with the I5-6500. Any other thing I need to be aware of. Video Card or will the integrated card work?

chris70cuda

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So is everyone that is running BI using two separate hard drives? One for windows and the other for cameras?

emersonvier

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi guys do think is good idea save the vidoe files on my NAS instead to HD desktop?

chris70cuda

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Depends on what you have already. Building from scratch, many like an SSD for the OS and database for speed and a cost effective purple large HD for footage.

Using just one large disk for both is fine too. I use just one disk. Speed isn't a big deal for me since all I run on it is BI.
Do you just do a small partition then for windows if you just use one HD

Reaction score
Hi, I want to share my story so other people knows what they can do:

I needed to use a laptop for Blue Iris because I wanted something really compact and with the benefit of an integrated screen. (plus it has its own battery for power outage and I have my cameras connected to UPS)

I already had a Dell Latitud Core i5-2520m, and wanted to buy a core i7 for BI purposes, but I was recommended not to do it. So I started to look for a desktop, but I'm a stubborn guy who needs to prove things by myself, so, I decided to install BI in the core i5 laptop I had and it worked well, it was able to managed 10 ip cameras (3 1080p and 7 720p). Processor went up to 70% without any performance adjustment with demo version. 70% peaks are pretty high for 24/7 use, but at least I knew the core i5-2520m was able to manage motion detection and clip recording very well. Then my thinking was : a core i7 laptop with a quad core processor (mine is dual core) will handle BI with lower processor usage, long story short, I found on eBay an used Dell latitud 6430 with a core i7-3740mq processor, 8gb ram and 256gb Ssd for $264 and it's running 11 cameras now at 14%-15% of processor usage. I did the performance adjustments described in another post, and it's working like a charm, it gives me (according to my calculations) about 25 to 30 days of motion detection clips. I don't need more than that.

Something I noticed, was a reduction of processors usage when introduced the license code, I guess it was because of the demo watermark.

So, if anyone has the same needs I had regarding space, battery and screen convenience for home use, this laptop model (or any core i7 quad core laptop 3rd gen and up ) will work (eBay has used options for budgets around $250-$300)

With that load, the laptop generates low heat emissions, but I like to take extra precautions, so, a couple of days ago I've installed a cooler fan platform below (just to help with the airflow).

Hope this experience can help others with their set up.

Cheers.