Using QNAP NAS as an NVR under BI control

Reaction score
I have eight IP cameras (6 GW Security and 2 ReoLink) and really love the motion trigger capabilities of BI. The NVR that came with the GW cameras is very flaky and since I already have a QNAP NAS I'd like to use it as an BI driven NVR replacement. My network is Gigabit and with all cameras running I consume less than 4% of its bandwidth.

I run BI 4.4.5.0 x64 as a service. All cameras now record to a local dedicated drive (G:\Blue Iris\New). In BI Options I configured the New folder to limit size to 10Gb and checked the Move to folder Aux 1 radio button. I configured the Aux 1 folder to point to my NAS using one of it's four Gb IP addresses (\\192.168.0.42) and the shared folder path \surveillance\blue iris). To test this I configured one camera to record continuously to the New folder.

My problem is when the recorded file reaches 4Gb it is closed and a new recording begins. There is no transfer to the NAS. What am I missing?

additional info: after more troubleshooting I find that I can't write to the NAS at all even though it shows up as a shared network drive in the directory tree.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator: