Using Raspberry Pi B+ / Raspbian to view Blue Iris UI3!

rracctv

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Anyone have a quick way to make chromium restart when the pi reboots? For instance when you have a power surge etc??

cagenuts

n3wb
Reaction score
Anyone have a quick way to make chromium restart when the pi reboots? For instance when you have a power surge etc??
Step 1.
Code:
nano .config/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart
Step 2.
Code:
@chromium-browser --start-fullscreen http://192.168.50.20:81/ui3.htm?maximize=1
Obviously change it to suit your BI server address.

cagenuts

n3wb
Reaction score
If you don't have something going "live", it's going to blank. That's why you set UI3 auto disable to 0. I have mine going most of the day and most every day. It hasn't blanked on me yet, so....
Yep you're correct. I had to reload a Pi and everything is as you say. Thanks.

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You can do this on a Fire tv stick and use the UI3 [BlueIris] android app.
The fire sticks will go on sale for $29 every other month.
How much CPU and GPU does a remote viewing gadget require, and how do the RPi 3B, 3B+, and various Firesticks stack up against those requirements?

Is the Android app less resource-intensive than a browser-based solution since it doesn't have to implement a full browser? Or is all the horsepower required for the decoding and rendering anyway?

I have a 3B+ at my parents' house doing other duties, and they want me to set up a security camera system with ~6-10 cameras, depending on how ambitious we get.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Not sure about the Pi but I've run UI3 fine on some crappy old tablets with not much as far as processor/memory so can't take much.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
UI3 on a pi 3 or 4 should be fine if you limit the streaming resolution to 1080p or 720p. If I was going to run such a thing, I would probably increase the bit rate of whichever streaming profile I settled on (and not use a "VBR" profile unless it was on wifi), so the quality would be as high as possible for the pi hardware.

A Fire TV stick probably will have more advanced video decoding hardware and be capable of 1080p or higher. Just my assumption. I don't use Fire TV sticks.

In theory the official Android app could be more efficient than UI3, so if that suits your needs then by all means give it a try.

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My Livingroom BlueIris display is a 24" HP Z24i monitor I had laying around, wall-mounted on a low profile wall mount, with a 2nd Gen Fire TV stick plugged in via an HDMI-DVI adapter (since the monitor doesn't have HDMI inputs). I run UI3 in the Silk browser. I am extremely pleased with the result.