Utilize USB Cameras

Reaction score
I know that I can add a USB camera to blue iris, but unfortunately Blue Iris ends up monopolizing the whole thing. In other words, you can't continue to normally use the camera. I actually have to "disable" the camera in blue iris to use it again.

Is there a way to only enable the camera when certain conditions happen?

Additionally, is there a way to utilize the cameras on other computers on the same network. It would be great to activate all of the cameras when I'm away.

GuiBou

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hmm...how can you see if your eyes are closed?

Same thing apply here. :)

Of course Windows can't use the webcam twice at the same time.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Envoyé de mon Nexus 7 en utilisant Tapatalk

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know whether the monopolizing of the camera is Blue Iris's fault or the camera driver's fault or what, but I swear back in the day when I used USB cameras for more than skype, I was able to use a camera in surveillance software and in skype at the same time.

As for sharing USB cameras across the network, you will need something that can stream the USB video feed over HTTP (such as webcamXP - Webcam and Network Camera Surveillance Software or even another copy of Blue Iris) and you will probably not get audio with it.

Reaction score
@GuiBou, in this case I still have one eye open, and I want to open the other one only in certain cases. I'd rather not glue my eyes open. :)

@bp2008, I'll take a look at that. Thank you. With so many cameras already scattered throughout my house, I'd love to use them in "Away" and "babysitter" mode.