UTV

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Now own 10 acres of about 90% or more wooded area with trails, this Urban/City Boy (Old Man) is looking at UTVs for our new Rural area life. I like the idea of a Dump Bed since I see it helpful for all the branches I will be collecting, moving leveling dirt/rock, etc. I like the fact of all the available attachments that would be helpful, rake, disc, plow, scrap blade, winch, chain saw/tool holder, etc.

But not having any experience with this kind of work I could use some advice.

Gas? Diesel? Electric?

Seeing Bed Load from 500 to 1000. Guessing 500 or much less.

Torque? Well pretty much flat land, a few inclines, do have a 1/2 pond at the back of the property that is lower than the house, guessing 5-7 feet elevation difference.

I do own my first Zero-Turn, it has a 54 inch deck, it is a nice Deere...

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Congrats and wishing you many more happy years.
I have not kept up with the latest technology in atv's as things have changed so much since I bought a Polaris Ranger and a small John Deere Gator. I put the Polaris through hell, pulling much more weight than designed and sinking it in a pond about your size. The newer ones have so much electronics that make them unreliable in my opinion and their suspension are questionable. The little JD Gator was pretty reliable. The Polaris dump bed seemed better than the Deere. Since I no longer have use for the dump bed I replaced them with a used Jeep CJ for a fraction of the price of buying another UTV due to the outrageous prices.

fergenheimer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I personally like electric. Spending my entire working life in a noisy environment, I am not interested in anything noisy. I drive golf carts and have an old Deere AMT that I am going to convert to electric as a project when I retire.

That being said, since there are no heavy duty electric utvs (that I know of) I would go with a hustler!

If you are 90% wooded, there might be a time that you want to move a heavy stump and not bust a gut lifting it into a bed.

Diesel is much more expensive but much more reliable than gasoline.

Another option would a small tractor with a grapple for the brush and such.

Mahindra just started importing a CJ clone called the ROXOR. It looks pretty nice but I do not think the bed tilts.

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I personally like electric. Spending my entire working life in a noisy environment, I am not interested in anything noisy. I drive golf carts and have an old Deere AMT that I am going to convert to electric as a project when I retire.

Another option would a small tractor with a grapple for the brush and such.
Yes, yes, yes! A grapple is a back saver. Fitted to a small 4wd tractors front end loader.
Thanks for sharing the info on the Hustler. Getting me excited.

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
How long do you want to keep it? Will you be using it as a utility vehicle or are you going to take it out on the trails?

I have owned a John Deere 855D Diesel Gator for 12 years. It's Yanmar diesel just sips diesel fuel. It has the electric dump bed. It has a centrifugal variable speed trans. It is 4WD. We like it, but it has some issues that I am not a fan of.

Things I like:
Diesel. Very fuel efficient. Low RPM torque. Less maintenance. If taken care of, twice the life of a gas engine.
Frame. Well built. Very rigid. Will carry 1000 lbs, no problem in the bed. Will pull up to 1500 Lbs.
Body Panels. Plastic. Withstands many bumps and bangs without denting or cracking.

Things I don't like:
Centrifugal variable speed trans: If you take the vehicle through water and water enters the belt housing, you will not go anywhere. Period. Until the belt dries out, you are not going anywhere. Ask me how I know......
Centrifugal clutch fingers: Have a tendency to get bent when pulling heavy loads that offer some ground resistance. I have replaced mine twice.
Electric Power Steering: The thing has thrown faults ever since I have owned it. Been in the shop at the dealership several times. They can't figure out what is causing it. They want $3000.00 to replace the control box, even though they don't know if that will fix it.
Electric/hydraulic dump bed: Works good, but is slow and draws lots of battery amperage when running.
Yanmar Diesel: Doesn't like cold starts in single digit temps.
No enclosed cab. Only a lexan windshield, which scratches very easily. It does have a ABS plastic roof. It rattles a lot when engine is running.

If you are looking at it as Utility use only and don't mind top speeds of 25-30 MPH, then Diesel is the way to go. If you want to go in speeds excess of 30 mph, then get a gas burner. I look for utility functions, low end torque, logical creature comforts and longevity. A gas burner UTV with a high reving, fuel thirsty, gas engine will get you on down the trail at speeds close to 50MPH and launch you into the air going over jumps. You can use it around the farm, but it wasn't really designed to be a utility vehicle. IMO, the gas burners are basically a jacked up, go-cart with doors for adults. If I want to go fast, I'll go jump in my Audi. A diesel engine will cost more, but with proper maintenance, it should last twice as long as a gas burner.

Best thing to do is figure out how you will use it the majority of the time. Make a list, then go to several dealerships and go for a test drive. Don't baby it, drive it like you just stole it.:thumb: Hopefully they have some area around the dealership where you can take it out, climb some hills, rough terrain, mud, etc. This will expose any issues you may not like. A gravel parking lot is not a test area. I repeat: A gravel parking lot is not a test area. If they will only let you idle around a gravel parking lot, forget about e'm & go test drive someone else's vehicle.
Look at warranty. Who has the best. If you are going to finance it, some manufacturers are offering 0% interest for up to 36 months. Dealer support and network for getting repair parts. Is the pipeline available to get parts quickly? Does the dealership have a good reference from previous buyers?

On that note, I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a brand new Kubota RTV-X1100C UTV in the next couple of weeks. Larger Kubota diesel, all hydrostatic drive, hydraulic steering, hydraulic dump bed, remote hydraulics, full air tight cab, heat/AC, windshield wiper, blah, blah, blah. Out the door with all the options I want: Just over 28K. For a similar model from Deere: close to 40K. Deere still uses the same smaller Yanmar diesel engine and the same trans setup as my old JD 855D. The new models are geared towards the younger generation, who must have every over-priced gadget known to mankind inside the cab, so they have bragging rights out on the trail. After 12 years of running my Gator year around on my farm, in my woods and on the back country roads, in all kinds of weather and all kinds of terrain, none of those fancy bling gadgets will benefit me in any way or fashion.
Believe me, I am a Deere man through and through. All my tractors, farm implements, mowers, etc, etc are all Deere. Why am I switching to Kubota? Deere has just got too damn expensive for their own good and has overloaded the Gators with too many gadgets that just are not needed. I found a better product, with better warranty, better price and a well thought of supporting dealership. So, I am changing from Green to Orange (Camo). Still keeping the Gator, adding the Kubota to the ever growing fleet. It will give my John Deere sales guy something to cry about next time he comes out and visits. We have a long 25+ year business relationship......

2000000009.jpg2000000001.jpg

DSCN1818.JPG

Last edited:

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
Unless the majority of the time your new UTV will be used in a Condo environment, on pristine lawns and will never see mud, snow, gunk or woods, get the ATV type tire tread. The smoother lawn tread general use tires will just spin when you get into some mud or snow.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks guys, very helpful advise. I am the pretty simple type, had a Jeep for 14 years with no electric locks/windows. If they had manual trans. I would of bought that.
Congrats and wishing you many more happy years.
I have not kept up with the latest technology in atv's as things have changed so much since I bought a Polaris Ranger and a small John Deere Gator. I put the Polaris through hell, pulling much more weight than designed and sinking it in a pond about your size. The newer ones have so much electronics that make them unreliable in my opinion and their suspension are questionable. The little JD Gator was pretty reliable. The Polaris dump bed seemed better than the Deere. Since I no longer have use for the dump bed I replaced them with a used Jeep CJ for a fraction of the price of buying another UTV due to the outrageous prices.
Yeah, the prices these days are hard to swallow. Really hoping I can find a Used solution, but not one I have to work on or put in the shop all the time. As we would all hope.

How long do you want to keep it? Will you be using it as a utility vehicle or are you going to take it out on the trails?
Diesel does sounds good for the long haul. Will be on it for mainly working. The trails will just help in getting around the property. The trails are mainly on about half the property headed to the back pond. The front half is all woods. Mainly Post Oak, Pine and Cedar trees.

General question, Street Legal, I see kits out there, my only thought here is fueling the UTV. I live less than a mile down a County Road from the main small town/gas station (only one 4 way stop :)). I probably actually just need to stop in the sheriffs office and ask them. I have seen someone on an UTV on the shoulder of the main Farm Road, we have lived here less than a month so still trying to figure things out. I am not a total noob, been on many dirt bikes, 4 wheelers, a few UTVs in my years, just a noob to tending to land, mending fences, etc. Was a kid last time I helped...

We are really loving our new home...out in the woods it is so dark you can't see your hand in front of you :) The forest comes alive at night, only time it is loud out here, during the day it is awesome quiet...

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
My Gator, I have always driven it on the road to the gas station. Was it street legal? No. My new Kubota will be, as I am adding turn signals and outside mirrors. As long as I keep it on the back country roads that are posted 40mph, here in Tennessee, I am legal. Your state may be different.

I fully understand about loving the country. I have owned my farm for 25 years and love that when you turn out the lights, it is pitch black. That is why all my cameras need IR to see at night. My house sits in the woods, a 1/3 of a mile, behind a hill from the road.

TuckNTruck

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
But not having any experience with this kind of work I could use some advice.
I sold my Honda Pioneer UTV and got a Japanese mini truck with a dump bed. Enclosed cab, A/C and heat, street legal where the Honda UTV was not (in my state, maybe different in yours), 4WD hi/low, diff lock, and the 2WD doesn't tear up the yard like some UTVs with solid rear diffs (like my Honda) will.

I bought mine from an auction in Japan, after shipping, taxes, etc I'm in it for about 7K. You can buy them already in the US for 8-15K used, or brand new for around 20-23K with a dump bed.

I've done several 30 mile trips back from town with 1750 lbs of pavers in the bed, regularly move 1500+ pounds of gravel around my property and the dump bed handles it with no problem. The bed is 6' long and just over 4' wide, all three sides of the bed can fold down or be removed completely in a couple minutes to make a flat bed. Once I got the truck, I never used the Honda again, so I sold it and haven't looked back. This mini truck does everything the UTV could do and way more. As long as you only need 2 seats, I'd give the mini trucks a look. Here's a video of what the dump bed models can do:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I sold my Honda Pioneer UTV and got a Japanese mini truck with a dump bed. Enclosed cab, A/C and heat, street legal where the Honda UTV was not (in my state, maybe different in yours), 4WD hi/low, diff lock, and the 2WD doesn't tear up the yard like some UTVs with solid rear diffs (like my Honda) will.

I bought mine from an auction in Japan, after shipping, taxes, etc I'm in it for about 7K. You can buy them already in the US for 8-15K used, or brand new for around 20-23K with a dump bed.

I've done several 30 mile trips back from town with 1750 lbs of pavers in the bed, regularly move 1500+ pounds of gravel around my property and the dump bed handles it with no problem. The bed is 6' long and just over 4' wide, all three sides of the bed can fold down or be removed completely in a couple minutes to make a flat bed. Once I got the truck, I never used the Honda again, so I sold it and haven't looked back. This mini truck does everything the UTV could do and way more. As long as you only need 2 seats, I'd give the mini trucks a look. Here's a video of what the dump bed models can do:
Very Kewl. What about parts?

TuckNTruck

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Very Kewl. What about parts?
No issues so far. I haven't had anything fail on my 94 Suzuki Carry but I've replaced a lot of parts just to clean it up a bit. I've been able to get exact parts from Suzuki either from Japan or US resellers. Only thing that wasn't OEM was a few coolant hoses that I couldn't find so I just went to the store and found hoses that matched. No issues. G&R Imports seems to be the go-to place for parts in the US. They have pretty much anything you'd ever need, even overhauled engines/transmissions. If you bought a new one, I assume you'd be able to get 100% new OEM parts.

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
You cant get a brand new mini truck in the US. They have to be a minimum of 25 years old to import them into the US. That is why you only see 80's and 90's models for sale in the US.

TuckNTruck

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You cant get a brand new mini truck in the US. They have to be a minimum of 25 years old to import them into the US. That is why you only see 80's and 90's models for sale in the US.
That's not true at all. You can buy brand new mini trucks in the US, still with the plastic wrap on them. They're imported and sold as off road use vehicles, no different from a UTV. That gets them past the federal import laws NHTSA and EPA regs. Each state has regulations on them as far as whether they can be titled/registered for on road use. My 94 was exempt from all those federal regulations since it was 25+ years old as you mention, but states can still restrict the older trucks from going on road. Thankfully my state does not, so mine is titled/registered and legal to drive on any road in my state. Even the new trucks (less than 25 years old) can be used on road here whereas UTVs cannot. It's something that will probably be restricted one of these days after an accident or something makes state regulators look at mini trucks, but for now they're street legal here.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No issues so far. I haven't had anything fail on my 94 Suzuki Carry but I've replaced a lot of parts just to clean it up a bit. I've been able to get exact parts from Suzuki either from Japan or US resellers. Only thing that wasn't OEM was a few coolant hoses that I couldn't find so I just went to the store and found hoses that matched. No issues. G&R Imports seems to be the go-to place for parts in the US. They have pretty much anything you'd ever need, even overhauled engines/transmissions. If you bought a new one, I assume you'd be able to get 100% new OEM parts.
I need to give these guys a call, they are only a few hours from us.

Also need to check with our county, if they allow these on the road, if I can get them inspected.

TuckNTruck

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I need to give these guys a call, they are only a few hours from us.

Also need to check with our county, if they allow these on the road, if I can get them inspected.

Yep, states all have different laws regarding mini trucks and even counties seem to do their own thing when deciding whether to register them or not. UTVs aren't street legal where I live, so it really didn't matter whether I could get my mini truck registered or not - I wanted it to do work on my property. The fact that I was able to get the mini truck registered was just a nice bonus and one more reason for me to go with a mini truck over a UTV.

One thing to keep in mind with the new trucks ("new" is referring to trucks less than 25 years old): they're required to have a 25 MPH speed governor on them - they can't be imported without it. Technically it's illegal (federal law) to remove or disable that speed governor, but I see a lot of these new trucks on the road going well over 25 so it must not be too hard to disable.

goneracin

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
ranger
as far as i know its the only utv with a lawn saver non spool rear. so its a 1 tire drive until you engage the rear lockup
much easier on lawn that a solid rear axle

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
I dont think.there are any UTVs with a solid rear axle. That would make them pretty tough to steer. i believe they all have differential locks. Maybe its the ATVs that have the solid rear axle. That would make more sense.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So the Ranger has "Turf Mode", as they call it. I found this video: