v4 Erroneous Size Errors for Samba Shares used for Clips and Archiving

plfinch

n3wb
Reaction score
SOLVED: v4 Erroneous Size Errors for Samba Shares used for Clips and Archiving

I am trying to configure BlueIris 4.0.0.12 to use a Samba share on a Linux ClearOS server for the Clips and Archiving "Stored" directory. The share is 2TB with 90% available. I configured BI to use 300GB. BI now shows an erroneous error in the status display that the available space in the share is only 10GB. I then mapped the share to local z: and configured BI to use it for Stored instead but got the same results. From Windows (8.1) where BI is running, properties on z: show 1.8TB available and I did test write hundreds of GB to the share.

Looks like there may be a bug in BI for calculating available space on network shares. Also, once a share is mapped as a local drive letter in Windows, it is not displayed in the GUI when selecting storage destinations for Clips and Archiving.

I do not know how v3 would handle this as I am a new BI user starting with v4.

[EDIT]
Per fenderman's suggestion I have disabled within BI monitoring of disk space for the offending share. All good now, no red flags or alerts in BI. Of course, the bug is still there as BI does not know how full the drive is.
[\EDIT]

Peter

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum..what exactly is the status display showing. Can you post a screenshot?

plfinch

n3wb
Reaction score
on the left we have two file explorer views - top is the mapped z: drive and bottom is the target network share. On the right we have the Blue Iris log showing z: short 289.9G, properties from the server running BI showing 1.8TB free, and the alert at the bottom inside the BI GUI showing again z: -289.9G. So I tried this both as a network share and as Windows mapped drive with same results. This was all just done on the just-released 4.0.0.13. Thanks! and Happ New Year!

Peter

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you storing any files/folders on other drives or other locations?

plfinch

n3wb
Reaction score
"New" is configured to the default local location of c:\BlueIris\New. The BI use limit is 300GB. It is a 2TB drive with 1.7TB free and, as can be seen from the lower right corner of my prior screenshot, BI reports "C: +1.43TB" so all is well with this one (1.7TB - 1.4TB = the BI requested 300GB).

I did temporarily configure New on the network mapped z: drive and BI could write clips to it but again complained there was only 10GB available.

I suspect a bug in the BI code (algorithm/logic and library calls used) that determines how much space is on the target volume when the target is on a networked fileshare.

Peter

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That may be the case. The only note on NAS i could find is a release not on version 3. There is an option to not monitor the free space on nas, dont know what effect it actually has...
"
  • Free space monitoring for NAS has been repaired for most situations. You should mount a single share on the name and then use subdirectories from there rather than multiple share points."

plfinch

n3wb
Reaction score
Guess I know when to use that option now. Ha ha. Okay. Checked the box to skip monitoring of space on that share. All good now and no red flags on the GUI or IOS apps. Thanks!

Peter