v5 run as service asking for system pw

TahoeJeff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Trying to enable 'run as service'. I do not have a pw set to log into my pc. If I leave the field blank, it doesn't work.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I have found that it will still run and record data, without logging into your PC on a reboot/ power failure-return to previous state-Bios settings.(edit) when set up to Run as a service

Last edited:

m_listed

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Small addendum that I discovered: your Windows password can’t have special characters in it (at least a $) for Blue Iris to be able to use it. At least last I checked a few years ago. Maybe some escaping issue that Ken let slip through

CrazyAsYou

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I do not have a pw set to log into my pc.
I would recommend setting a password to log in to your PC, if your house is broken into and your PC stolen it will offer a little more protection, ideally you want a password/pin and also enable Windows bitlocker (drive encryption) at least on the boot drive.

TahoeJeff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you all for the suggestions. I did end up setting up a system pw, and that worked fine until yesterday. I had decided to add my Microsoft account login to the pc, which uses a pin instead of my pw. Still no issue, until I rebooted yesterday after a Windows update. Now 'run as service' is broken. When I try to enable it, it asks for my pw. Then says could not log in, check pw is accurate. I have triple checked my pw, and it is accurate. Tried the pin in the pw box, still no joy.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you all for the suggestions. I did end up setting up a system pw, and that worked fine until yesterday. I had decided to add my Microsoft account login to the pc, which uses a pin instead of my pw. Still no issue, until I rebooted yesterday after a Windows update. Now 'run as service' is broken. When I try to enable it, it asks for my pw. Then says could not log in, check pw is accurate. I have triple checked my pw, and it is accurate. Tried the pin in the pw box, still no joy.
Set a regular windows password....you may have to reinstall to do this now that you made an MS account. You will need to us the bypassnro trick or similar during install - search for instructions.
Either way BI run on an admin account should not ask for a password.
Then use netplwiz to auto login with the password - so you never have to enter it. Search for instructions.

CrazyAsYou

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Set a regular windows password....you may have to reinstall to do this now that you made an MS account. You will need to us the bypassnro trick or similar during install - search for instructions.
Either way BI run on an admin account should not ask for a password.
Then use netplwiz to auto login with the password - so you never have to enter it. Search for instructions.
You don't have to reinstall, create a new 2nd user account, make it a local account and also an administrator account, with a password, tell the blue iris service to use that account and use your current account linked to MS with your pin as normal

TahoeJeff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was able to set Windows to let me log in with my MS account pw once I disabled this Windows Hello sign-in setting and rebooted. BI running as a service again! Thank you for the help! 1694893839800.png