Varifocal vs Fixed focal length comparison.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I know there are a couple other threads on this, but I wanted to make my contribution.

It is always highly suggested for new installs to first get a varifocal and then use it to determine the focal length you need for a given field of view. I had replaced one of my varifocals with a fixed version based on the results from the Focal Lens Calculator. The FOV ended up being way different than anticipated. There have since been other posts made stating there really is no direct correlation between the calculated varifocal focal length and the fixed focal length.

Cut to my most recent install:

I installed two varifocals over my backyard and determined it was likely a better application for a fixed, but I did not know what the comparable fixed camera would be. Knowing I could not rely on the calculator I set the varifocal to various, calculated focal lengths in an attempt to see if a 3.6mm or 6mm fixed would be appropriate. The results are below.

Varifocal: IPC-T5442T-ZE
Fixed: IPC-T5442TM-AS

VF @ 3.6mm
36.jpg

VF @ 4mm
4.jpg

VF @ 5mm
5.jpg

VF @ 6mm
6.jpg

Based on the above and a very calibrated test involving me hanging off of a ladder and holding a fixed 3.6mm in the same location to compare the field of views, I determined the closest varifocal setting would be around 4.5mm.

After mounting, the results are below (overlooking the subtle alignment differences). It's safe to say that 4.5mm is damned close to a fixed 3.6mm; use this information how you will.

VF @ 4.5mm and the Fixed 3.6mm
Back_Yard, South 2023-07-23 02.51.30.414 PM.jpgF36.jpg

Reaction score
That is why, for the most part, I have been sticking to VF cams now. Get the exact focal length you want/need.

BTW, I would check that 3.6mm cam. It looks like it has warped the dark spot on your lawn. It twisted it and elongated it. Strange.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
That is why, for the most part, I have been sticking to VF cams now. Get the exact focal length you want/need.

BTW, I would check that 3.6mm cam. It looks like it has warped the dark spot on your lawn. It twisted it and elongated it. Strange.
If I hadn't done the side by side and saw that the VF was set very close to a 3.6mm for my desired FOV, then I probably would have just left them but I thought it a waste to have it set to the same FOV I could get with a fixed. I now have two VFs I can deploy elsewhere.

The dark spot has been a concern since I put these up; can't seem to get it to go away.