Varifocal vs Fixed

seaton

n3wb
Reaction score
So obviously the IPC-HDW5231R-Z or IPC-HDW5231R-ZE are awesome cameras.
I love varifocal, and obviously you can get the perfect focus as opposed to compromising. At the same time, once you get them zoomed to the right level, they are basically fixed, easily adjustable cameras.

At $160+ a piece, they aren't cheap, but their starlight is the nuts.

Is anyone doing fixed lens instead ? I was thinking that I can put up like 4-5 fixed mm lens cameras (still starlight) for the cost of two of the above. I have a few spots that the varifocal is a no brainer for. But where I have 32 ports to play with, I think I would almost rather have more cameras with 6mm lenses placed closer and more coverage. Thoughts ? recommended models ?

So far my plans are
NVR 5232-16p-4KS2e
2 of the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE DAHUA English 2MP WDR IR Eyeball IP Camera IPC-HDW5231RP-Z 2.7mm-12mm motorized lens Starlight Network Camera
2 of the IPC-HDBW4231F-AS at my doorbells / doors
1 of the SD49225T starlight 25X PTZ
maybe some fixed lens cameras
2 4k cameras for better lit areas
an LPR / ANLP camera for later (I have done LPR programming, so that will be later, once I start that again, that takes a ton of time / obsession)

I then plan on waiting for the 4k release of starlights and their price point to come down. When they hit 300, I will add some of them.

Thoughts ? suggestions ?

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I bought a 5231R-Z varifocal starlight first and have used it as a tester camera. Between that and my DSLR, I got a pretty good idea what focal lengths I'd need in what places. I discovered that I'll need a mix of 3.6 mm and 6 mm lenses with maybe just one 2.8 mm. I wouldn't have guessed that to be the case before doing the testing.

I just bought a pair of 3.6 mm 4231EM-AS fixed starlights. A second round of testing has confirmed the first round's results. The 5231R-Z will wind up in a location where I need a lens longer than the 6 mm available on the fixed starlights.

I plan on having 8-9 cameras and I'm happy to save $40 per camera with the fixed models.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I recently posted a thread reporting on a fixed focal 2mp starlight camera, comparing it to a couple of chinese market cameras and the 2mp starlight varifocal zoom. One way I'd summarize my conclusion is that compared to the chinese market cameras, for 50% more cost you get a better night picture. Compared to the varifocal zoom, for ~$50-$60 less cost you get the same quality picture. If you don't need the zoom, audio inputs, and event I/O lines, I see no downside whatsoever to using the fixed focus starlight. And the smaller size is a bonus (that's for the bullet form factor, I don't know how the turrets compare, size-wise).
Comparison of mini bullet HFW-4231E-SE with 3 other cameras

seaton

n3wb
Reaction score
a bonus (that's for the bullet form facto
I recently posted a thread reporting on a fixed focal 2mp starlight camera, comparing it to a couple of chinese market cameras and the 2mp starlight varifocal zoom. One way I'd summarize my conclusion is that compared to the chinese market cameras, for 50% more cost you get a better night picture. Compared to the varifocal zoom, for ~$50-$60 less cost you get the same quality picture. If you don't need the zoom, audio inputs, and event I/O lines, I see no downside whatsoever to using the fixed focus starlight. And the smaller size is a bonus (that's for the bullet form factor, I don't know how the turrets compare, size-wise).
Comparison of mini bullet HFW-4231E-SE with 3 other cameras
Great, just what I was looking for. I will go through that, thanks for your post

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So far my plans are
NVR 5232-16p-4KS2e
2 of the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE DAHUA English 2MP WDR IR Eyeball IP Camera IPC-HDW5231RP-Z 2.7mm-12mm motorized lens Starlight Network Camera
2 of the IPC-HDBW4231F-AS at my doorbells / doors
1 of the SD49225T starlight 25X PTZ
maybe some fixed lens cameras
2 4k cameras for better lit areas
an LPR / ANLP camera for later (I have done LPR programming, so that will be later, once I start that again, that takes a ton of time / obsession)

I then plan on waiting for the 4k release of starlights and their price point to come down. When they hit 300, I will add some of them.

Thoughts ? suggestions ?
HI Seaton,

Looking forward to having you share your build out, sounds like a great plan.

( if you have not yet cabled .. )
I would recommending pulling N+1 cat5e/6 cables to each location and leaving a little extra length for any future additions / modifications - or even adding external IR illuminators in a spot or 2.

seaton

n3wb
Reaction score
HI Seaton,
( if you have not yet cabled .. )
I would recommending pulling N+1 cat5e/6 cables to each location and leaving a little extra length for any future additions / modifications - or even adding external IR illuminators in a spot or 2.
I am actually cabling while we speak. Keeps me busy while waiting on the toys. I had also considered extra illuminators. My biggest concern is that bugs are just nuts where I live, so I don't want to attract them. I have a ton of porch lamps going up as we speak also, and am curious about how the bugs will workout with them. (may not run them much)

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I had also considered extra illuminators. My biggest concern is that bugs are just nuts where I live, so I don't want to attract them.
That's a better reason to have the external IR lights. It gets the bugs away from the camera.

seaton

n3wb
Reaction score
That's a better reason to have the external IR lights. It gets the bugs away from the camera.
makes sense, thanks. I will give that a try. I need to experiment and see how well they do out here with and without IR