Verifocal camera with sd storage

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Any electric at the "old house" you could put an Infrared emitter in closer proximity to the intersection.

International784

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No and I thought about running direct burial 12 or 10/2. It’s just deeper than I wanted to go because of the tractors.

International784

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, they're Dahua. Andy's private-labeled branding. He's a trusted vendor here.

International784

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, they're Dahua. Andy's private-labeled branding. He's a trusted vendor here.
Just looking into that. It appears to be so lol. Is there a model cross reference? Just curious. I’ll definitely end up getting one.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just looking into that. It appears to be so lol. Is there a model cross reference? Just curious. I’ll definitely end up getting one.
Many of the core model numbers will be the same, although some of the newer cameras are getting shorter names like 4K/T instead of the big long number LOL.

Best case is to do a search here for the model number as many people post reviews and will indicate the Dahua model equivalent if different (real reviews with motion capture at night and not Amazon reviews that are based on static images on default settings).

International784

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are these two the same?
EmpireTech Ultra Smart 4MP 1/1.8" CMOS Starlight 25x Optical Zoom POE+ IP PTZ Camera Support Auto Tracking 3.0 and IVS,SMD 4.0.,Quick Pick,Replace SD5A425XA-HNR,New SD5A425GA-HNR

able to identify at 254m? Because that’s insane. This is well worth the money and meets all my criteria and then some.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The SD5A425XA is not the same as the 49425 that you linked in the wiki.

They are both 4MP but the SD5 is on a much larger 1/1.8" sensor compared to the smaller 1/2.8" sensor on the 49425.

Given the darkness you need the larger sensor.

Take the DORI numbers with a grain of salt. Those are under ideal conditions - great lighting, no movement, slow shutter.

Realistically you need to cut the numbers in half for daytime with motion and cut that number at least in half or more at night to get IDENTIFY at night with motion.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Im looking for an old photo i have of this Hikvision PTZ catching a parked cars license plate out back on the corner of the Condo lot. 2MP 20X zoom PTZ.....Jidetech, kind of trashy interface but great optics.
Its a good 300Ft plus.....maybe 350 max. from Camera corner of lot. here is something I found...If I zoomed on that old Buick in the corner, it would resolve the license plate after self corrcting it's auto focus.
1681009396762.png

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Oh here it is....and this is before @looneytunes Chewed my ass about learning how to use Windows snipping tool, so its a iphone photo of the Blue Iris screen. :smash:The little black car is in both shots. But the suspicious car was gone in the second image. Apparently
" Tom" Hit his windshield on the way out with a Pump BB gun using pellets and a Scope LOL.....Tom owns the little black car, and somebody was rifling thru his car.

1681009717497.png
1681009826917.png

International784

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh here it is....and this is before @looneytunes Chewed my ass about learning how to use Windows snipping tool, so its a iphone photo of the Blue Iris screen. :smash:The little black car is in both shots. But the suspicious car was gone in the second image. Apparently
" Tom" Hit his windshield on the way out with a Pump BB gun using pellets and a Scope LOL.....Tom owns the little black car, and somebody was rifling thru his car.

View attachment 159524
View attachment 159525
Just the lights from his license plate and taillights were enough to take that picture? I know the camera has IR emitters but they wouldn’t reach that would they? Would the SD5A425GA-HNR do anything similar? Also, can you recommend a good POE+ switch (802.3at)? I need to run my router to this switch and from the switch to the camera correct?

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You have to setup the camera to get plates, but at night that is all it will get.

This is a camera dedicated to plates and not an overview camera also. It is as much an art as it is a science. You will need two cameras. For LPR we need to OPTICALLY zoom in tight to make the plate as large as possible. For most of us, all you see is the not much more than a vehicle in the entire frame. Now maybe in the right location during the day it might be able to see some other things, but not at night.

At night, we have to run a very fast shutter speed (1/2,000) and in B/W with IR and the image will be black. We need the fast shutter to capture the plate and take advantage of the reflective properties of the plate. All you will see are head/tail lights and the plate. Some people can get away with color if they have enough street lights, but most of us cannot. Here is a representative sample of plates I get at night of vehicles traveling about 45MPH at 175 feet from my 2MP 5241-Z12E camera (that is all that is needed for plates):

1675078711764.png

At that shutter speed you will not pick up the outline of the car, people walking by, etc. Just like at a shutter speed to capture people at night, the plate will be all white due to the reflective properties of the plate.

See the LPR subforum for lots of examples.

International784

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I see there maybe some cameras that attempt to do both

I’m guessing it will do both “ok”. This is the cable I’ve got and should run what I need it to.

with switch

TP-Link TL-SG1005P V2 or later | 5 Port Gigabit PoE Switch | 4 PoE+ Ports @65W | Desktop | Plug & Play | Sturdy Metal w/ Shielded Ports | Fanless | Limited Lifetime Protection | QoS & IGMP Snooping
I may go ahead and run two cables while I’m at it just in case. Is there a decent LPR that you recommend? To go with this camera?

EmpireTech Ultra Smart 4MP 1/1.8" CMOS Starlight 25x Optical Zoom POE+ IP PTZ Camera Support Auto Tracking 3.0 and IVS,SMD 4.0.,Quick Pick,Replace SD5A425XA-HNR,New SD5A425GA-HNR
trying to handle a 3 week old and figure this out. Thank you again.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No, one camera will not do both, especially at night. And that thread you linked isn't indicating that - that person wanted to know if a PTZ with the larger zoom could be set up to read plates, but that is all it will do in his setup.

You have to decide do you want the zoom capabilities of the PTZ to read plates or capture people/vehicles. It will not do both at night. During the day it can probably do double duty, but not at night.

Some people can do both under ideal situations - like at a stop sign and a lot of white light like @Flintstone61 showed above, but that is the exception. Based on what you said, I do not think you have enough light.

I suggest you read the LPR subforum I linked and look at all of the examples.

Shutter speed is what captures fast moving objects. The faster the shutter, the darker the image. At a 1/2,000 shutter, the image will be black except for the reflective plate and head/tail lights.

By contrast, you will run the shutter of the PTZ to capture people somewhere around 1/30 to 1/60, but at that speed, the plate will be white.

Here is what the plate will look like if the camera is setup to get people at night:

1681052391147.png

Here is someone walking past my LPR camera in the middle of the night with a reflective vest on. As you can see, all you see is the reflective stripes. Had he not been wearing that, the camera wouldn't even have picked him up.

1654482880272.png

The 5241E-Z12E is the go to camera to set up to read plates. Keep in mind this is to allow you to manually read the plate, the camera does not automatically read the plates. You would have to go double/triple the price to do that, but those cameras do not have a large enough zoom. This camera can get 150-175 feet or so before you need additional infrared.

Reaction score
If you are serious about LPR, then see these two threads.

SIMPLY LPR.JPG

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

View attachment 159524
View attachment 159525
Man, I'm sorry I scarred you for life. ;)

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have that camera.
Here are two examples at distance.
Here is the cam at full zoom. The distance to the white rock to the left of the dock, is 150 yards.
CritterPTZ 2023-04-09 01.41.06.167 PM.jpg
Then pulled all the way back.
CritterPTZ 2023-04-09 01.40.48.533 PM.jpg

International784

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have that camera.
Here are two examples at distance.
Here is the cam at full zoom. The distance to the white rock to the left of the dock, is 150 yards.
View attachment 159564
Then pulled all the way back.
View attachment 159565
That’s what I’m talking about! Jesus Christ that’s AWESOME! If I can’t get plates I could come pretty damn close to recognizing a face. That’s doing everything I’d want it to do. I thought I was going to have to buy an axis or Bosch for that picture.