Verizon Wireless MVNO Options

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
We have been on Verizon Wireless about forever, and I'm looking for options to reduce cost. We have four phones, with two (the inlaws) not using any data other than what the phone uses itself, they barely text. Then my wife and I, which usage varies from 5-10 GB per month for all the phones.

I know a couple of folks on here have mentioned Ting Mobile, and maybe some other MNVOs. We need the VZW foot print for where we live - in the mountains even AT&T is spotty compared to VZW.

Suggestions, thoughts, others to look at? Who has Ting? You like it, hate it, think all cell companies are crap?

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The wife and I are presently on Sprint, which is going away soon, mid-year 2022?. We have been looking at T-Mobiles Senior plan...thinking we may switch to it.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
We have been on Verizon Wireless about forever, and I'm looking for options to reduce cost. We have four phones, with two (the inlaws) not using any data other than what the phone uses itself, they barely text. Then my wife and I, which usage varies from 5-10 GB per month for all the phones.

I know a couple of folks on here have mentioned Ting Mobile, and maybe some other MNVOs. We need the VZW foot print for where we live - in the mountains even AT&T is spotty compared to VZW.

Suggestions, thoughts, others to look at? Who has Ting? You like it, hate it, think all cell companies are crap?
Do you know anyone with T-Mob that you can check their coverage in your area (home)? We tested ours with some family members on the T-Mob network in our house, Sprint was faster but that was about a year ago when we all did speedtest on our phones.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The problem with T-Mobile is lack of coverage in rural areas, and we are rural. Town of 5,000 is the largest in the county which only has about 40,000. T-Mobile sort of works outside or house, but not inside.

Edit: I should add that one of our granddaughters had T-Mobile, so we are well aware of the issues with it around here. :(

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

Consider that many mvno's dont allow roaming. So for example if they are using verizon they wont roam on any other tower even if Verizon has a roaming agreement in place for their own customers.
Consider verizons own prepaid plans you have to build up to the max savings over 10 months. You wont save much over verizons postpaid basic 35 dollar unlimited plan.

rolibr24

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Consider m interested in this too. Verizon is the only good coverage where we are. And lately it’s been spotty at best. Friends with sprint get worst coverage at our house than Verizon. At work they’ve been so ticked at Verizon that they went to AT&T, they gave us a phone to borrow for a month. I took it home and it’s about the same as Verizon.

I keep considering Patriot Mobile.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Visible will work. Has unlimited data but I believe it’s throttled to about 5Mbps. Just checked and it’s not throttled; just heavily deprioritized.

As mentioned, there is no roaming. However, Verizon has pretty damn good coverage every where unless you travel into the Rockies where everyone struggles to get coverage. We use PureTalk USA which is a ATT MVNO. Three phones for less than $80/month. If I had to do it again, I’d probably just go with ATT prepaid. More data for the money.

Last edited:

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
You might look at Total wireless. They resell Verizon service.

They have almost no customer service.
The chat on PC works well, just takes time to get through the basic stupid people filter and get down to your problem.
The phone support always takes a long time to connect, just have them call you back, then you can relax until your turn.

Alaska Country

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Depending on what your needs are I went with US Mobile another reseller. Have no need for text, data or unlimited talk. Was with the local landline folks and they are now at $44 per month not including long distance.

You can build your own plan or select from their standard options. Considering the need for little talk I selected the 300 min per month plan, no text, no data for $7.57 inclusing all taxes and fees. Has worked well for my needs.