Version 4 (x64) crashes - reproducable

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
At first I just disabled the sound on my Hootoo (Foscam clone) and BI still crashed, however, after disabling the entire camera I have yet to get a crash (16 hours and counting). I'm going to wait some more before a declaration but I really do think this is it - BI has a problem with Foscam cameras.

On the lighter side that is sooooo funny - BI was designed for Foscam (If I have its history right). :laugh:
BI has no connection to foscam other than foscam buying a bunch of bulk licenses and re branding the software that Ken develops..I dont even think foscam was selling ip cameras back when the BI1 was introduced..

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
BI has no connection to foscam other than foscam buying a bunch of bulk licenses and re branding the software that Ken develops..I dont even think foscam was selling ip cameras back when the BI1 was introduced..
Right, but from my understanding Foscam was Ken's first big customer, i.e. that bulk buying of licenses and re-branding is what helped propel BI to what it is now (ya, it was there first - which is why Foscam licensed it). There were/are alot of camera software out there and the Foscam deal is the thing that helped BI stand out from the crowd and of course expand its distribution immensely.

I could be wrong but I thought for sure when I read the history on BI (some time ago) that was how it went down...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I dont know, but i doubt it..Foscam has only been selling Blue iris on amazon since November 2012 (according to the review history)...blue iris was quite popular before that...but its just speculation...i have never seen a history mentioning anything about the foscam deal.

nstig8

n3wb
Reaction score
I disabled audio recording in Blue Iris, not the audio on my Foscams - so I can still get audio through other apps like IP Cam Viewer on my phone. No crashes all day today.

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I perused the way back machine for a bit to see if I could find out a definitive answer but was unable to do so in the short time I looked. :(

You certainly are right that BI had/has a loyal following, looks like it started around 2002 and foscam.us wasn't lighted up till 2010. BI has supported Foscam cameras though since the begining and looking at the cameras supported by BI in 2002 the Foscam cameras are listed as "all models" while all other cameras are listed by exact model number - so I think the popularity of Foscam cameras at that time was a major driver for the software.

Foscam like it or not had a world wide distribution network at that time (still does) and the "get" for Ken Im thinking was no small thing.

Of course Ken certainly would know the impact the Foscam company has had with his sotware - we can only guess.

I know you dislike Foscam, however, back in the day Foscam cameras where inexpensive enough to give people there first look into video surveyllance and greatly expanded the market.

Of course now we know that Foscam is not Scottish and so it's Crap! :cool:

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I disabled audio recording in Blue Iris, not the audio on my Foscams - so I can still get audio through other apps like IP Cam Viewer on my phone. No crashes all day today.
Interesting, I left the audio recording enabled on all my other cameras, I still am seeing "Audio timeout: network reset" errors, but BI isn't crashing on them. Think the error is Foscam specific (at least it is for my smattering of cameras - but it's not like I have a huge variety).

Still running without a crash. :D

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK, BI just restarted because of a new version push (v4.0.1.0). I'm going to re-active my HooToo (foscam clone) and see if it doesn't crash anymore.

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Whelp so much for that, BI just crashed on me with the same error it had before.

BI Log:
1 1/25/2015 4:53:36 PM master Signal: network retry
1 1/25/2015 4:53:38 PM master Signal: timeout; check IP address and port
2 1/25/2015 4:53:44 PM App Restarted after unexpected shutdown

Event log:
Faulting application name: BlueIris.exe, version: 4.0.1.0, time stamp: 0x54c5374d
Faulting module name: BlueIris.exe, version: 4.0.1.0, time stamp: 0x54c5374d
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000003be803
Faulting process id: 0x3e10
Faulting application start time: 0x01d038e34087a001
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 4\BlueIris.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 4\BlueIris.exe
Report Id: ffde8ce5-a4e4-11e4-a15d-000272c69f99

Sooooo, back to the drawing board for Ken, looks like my HooToo (foscam clone) is going to have to be replaced (it was cheap anyway - bought years ago). Going to disable it again. :(

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just got the BI v4.0.1.1 so I'm going to reactivate my HooToo (Foscam clone) and see if the crashes are fixed. :cool:

P.S. The BI Db rebuilds quickly again (2 seconds for me), so that is back to normal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Overcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not to side track the discussion, but I wish Foscam would design a 3MP wireless camera that could do 1080p. I'd snatch up a few external IP66 ones if they did. Not sure how well 3MP cams work via wireless, maybe bandwidth is an issue, but it would be nice to simplify home installs.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Not to side track the discussion, but I wish Foscam would design a 3MP wireless camera that could do 1080p. I'd snatch up a few external IP66 ones if they did. Not sure how well 3MP cams work via wireless, maybe bandwidth is an issue, but it would be nice to simplify home installs.
3mp is going to be an issue wireless...you can do 1080p...forget foscam and their crap...you and get wifi hikvision...or even better use powerline...

Overcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
3mp is going to be an issue wireless...you can do 1080p...forget foscam and their crap...you and get wifi hikvision...or even better use powerline...
That's actually a great idea, the powerline way. I have two older 10MB Ethernet or power modules, I could test one of my cameras over it and see how it works. It's not gigabyte but for one camera it should be enough.

- - - Updated - - -

With version v4.0.1.1 the cpu load dropped from 70% (constantly) to 15% now. No crashes since yesterday.
How did you get such a huge drop in CPU?

Overcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think version 4.0.1.0 brought in the high cpu load and 4.0.1.1 fixed it. Could be wrong though.
Must be nice :) i just updated mine since it didn't do it automatically from 4.0.1.0 to 4.0.1.2 and went up 1% hovering around 80% usage :(

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
BI crashes on v4.0.1.1 still, however, v4.0.1.2 is now in play so I'll reactive the HooToo (Foscam clone) and see if the crash issue is fixed. As a side note my BI CPU usage has jumped up on this version update - about 4%.

nstig8

n3wb
Reaction score
The problem has been fixed with my Foscams and audio since 4.0.1.0 with no crashes since I got that update and re-enabled audio recording. I am noticing roughly double the CPU usage with the recent two updates, but that is a different issue. I have the CPU cycles to spare on this machine, so I'll let someone else worry about that problem.

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
BI v4.0.1.3 corrects the CPU problem but still crashes with the HooToo (foscam clone).

Reaction score
i dont get crash info .. it just tells me it stop for what ever reason.. i try to get a screen shot but the whole pc wont resond till i shut off bi i uninstalled it and running bi3 its been running a week solid no issues i dont want to risk running bi4 till i know for sure bugs are fixed, im running 4 onvif hd ip cams (wired over p.o.e running from a p.o.e hub) 5 wanscam (foscamlook alike) again on wire ip on a p.o.e hub .. all run flawless on bi3

Attachments