Very slow frame rates from IP Cameras when viewing on PC

sonalj

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum so please do bear with me if I make any mistakes with regards to how new posts should be made.

So, let me start from the beginning. I always wanted to set up some IP cameras at home, but never felt that it was worth the investment as we live in a very safe neighborhood. However, about 3 months ago, my son visited Malaysia and bought about 5 IP cameras. The boxes were all in Chinese so I am not too sure of the brand, but the software to be downloaded is known as "xxCamera". My house is a two story house. My main WIFI router is set upstairs and there is a WIFI repeater set up downstairs to boost the signal downstairs. There are a total of 3 cameras connected to the repeater, and 2 cameras connected to the router. Here's the problem:

1) Some cameras work EXTREMELY smoothly when I view it through the Android app, but almost all the cameras bar 1 are extremely slow when I view them on my PC. There is severe lag and sometimes the cameras dont load at all.
2) There are two cameras that are extremely laggy on the phone and computer too.

So could anyone please help me with what the potential problems could be?

Thank you.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
There are a total of 3 cameras connected to the repeater, and 2 cameras connected to the router.
All connected via WiFi?
It's pretty common to have erratic and slow video when viewing HD cameras over WiFi.
Is the PC also on WiFi?
Some cameras work EXTREMELY smoothly when I view it through the Android app, but almost all the cameras bar 1 are extremely slow when I view them on my PC.
It's likely the Android app is using the low-bandwidth substream for the view, and the PC will be using the high-bandwidth main stream
Have you been able to correlate the performance problems with how the cameras are connected?

Presuming the cameras do have Ethernet ports - try connecting one by cable to the router, and the PC also by cable to the router, and assess how the video performs.