Very small PoE Cam for bird feeder?

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Is that so the missus can see what you're up to? :highfive:
Haha!! I wouldn't complaint out there! I vent the heat from my server stack under the doghouse floor so it's nice and warm!! They are spoiled brats!
IMG_3874.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

iseeker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
though I run shielded CAT-5e out to the bluebird house and have it plugged into a Ubiquiti Ethernet surge protector with a driven ground rod at the base of the birdhouse fencepost, I figured it best to help contain this fierce AL lightning to a $15 injector instead of a $100 POE switch.
do you have another post on this forum that discusses your lightening protection setup further? Trying to figure this out before setting up my outdoor runs. Right now planning on using ditek mrjpoe devices on my runs earthed to my main home grounding rod.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
do you have another post on this forum that discusses your lightening protection setup further? Trying to figure this out before setting up my outdoor runs. Right now planning on using ditek mrjpoe devices on my runs earthed to my main home grounding rod.
Yes, it's here.

iseeker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh man. Let me know if these pop up for sale again. I set alert on eBay too, but if someone sees it for good price....

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Heck....the good ones always fly off the shelf.
It came back in stock a little while ago, I ordered it and it came well packaged. But the clips on the rear cover were complete sheered off, meaning it just sat loosely on and could be knocked off. The seller tried arguing that that's how the cameras are designed... I told him that was not the case and requested a refund.

I see now its listed back with some stipulation that it is damaged, however he told me he has sold plenty of these before that are the same. So I'd be warned if you buy from this seller, chances are you will get a damaged camera

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
But the clips on the rear cover were complete sheered off, meaning it just sat loosely on and could be knocked off.
Sorry you had a problem. Even when undamaged they're pretty flimsy, the simple mod below worked for me since it was mounted in the roof of the birdhouse looking down, I did not use the stand as shown, I used a homemade adjustable bracket using metal plumber's tape(see my post #35).

Sercomm1.jpg

Last edited:

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
One day I'll get around to the bird feeder project, today I put this camera in my garage. Works great with the 180 degree viewing angle. I don't need great quality, I just want to see whats going on in there

1623454927060.jpeg

1623454938617.jpeg

Made the mount out of an old bit of 2x4

1623454957067.jpeg

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
The one of the garage has held up great! Plenty of very hot days with no problem, we'll see how it handles winter

I'm actually looking for a second, I want to add one to my outdoor cat house. Looks like there are no cheap ones out there right now. Anyone know of another cheap cam option? I have some Samsung SmartCams, but they are WiFi, and I don't know how much I want to deal with that

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score

Maybe more than you want to spend. I was going to install it into a birdhouse but haven't gotten around to actually doing it yet.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Maybe so. Probably several factories in China churning them out.