Video Quality

MikeLud1

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am trying out BI and deciding if I am going to switch from using Asustor NAS Surveillance Center. BI live videos look muted some compared to Surveillance Center, see screenshots below, also below is BI Status. Is there any setting to improve the video quality that I am missing.

Thanks
Mike

BI.jpg
NVR.jpg
BI Stats.jpg

EyeOfSauron

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It makes no sense that there is a degradation in quality when recording direct-to-disk from the camera stream. I noticed at night it actually affects the image quality more, with a subtle loss of detail.

Might be worth to report this to support and see what they think? I saw your comment about hardware decode eliminating this problem - seems strange, as the software decode should in theory be higher quality.

MikeLud1

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It makes no sense that there is a degradation in quality when recording direct-to-disk from the camera stream. I noticed at night it actually affects the image quality more, with a subtle loss of detail.

Might be worth to report this to support and see what they think? I saw your comment about hardware decode eliminating this problem - seems strange, as the software decode should in theory be higher quality.
I did some more digging on the quality issue and I think I figured out the issue with software decode, it has to do with the way BI software decode handles the video levels, link explains the issue Full Levels and Video Levels Explained! - The Post Process

EyeOfSauron

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I did some more digging on the quality issue and I think I figured out the issue with software decode, it has to do with the way BI software decode handles the video levels, link explains the issue Full Levels and Video Levels Explained! - The Post Process
That does sounds like the issue. I am talking to support, can you tell me what cameras you're using? Just so that I provide complete info.

In my case it is happening with Dahua's 5442 series cams and H.265 codec.

This could be a simple flag on their decoder that they might need to change.

Last edited:

MikeLud1

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That does sounds like the issue. I am talking to support, can you tell me what cameras you're using? Just so that I provide complete info.

In my case it is happening with Dahua's 5442 series cams and H265 codec.
I am also using Dahua's 5442 series cams but H264 codec. I will also send an email to support latter today. I think if we both send the issue to support it would better the odds of having it addressed.

EyeOfSauron

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am also using Dahua's 5442 series cams but H264 codec. I will also send an email to support latter today. I think if we both send the issue to support it would better the odds of having it address.
I assumed you were using a trial version based on your screenshots, in which case I assume there is no support.

I have linked this thread in my support email, so it may not be necessary to submit duplicate tickets, but that's up to you :).

Thanks for posting on this, at least I know I was not seeing things, and that there might be a path to get 1:1 quality out of the BI stream.

MikeLud1

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I assumed you were using a trial version based on your screenshots, in which case I assume there is no support.

I have linked this thread in my support email, so it may not be necessary to submit duplicate tickets, but that's up to you :).

Thanks for posting on this, at least I know I was not seeing things, and that there might be a path to get 1:1 quality out of the BI stream.
Once I found hardware decode cleaned up the image I did buy the software so I do have support now. Recently I added some more cameras and now I can only use hardware decode for 10 of my 12 cameras also playback is effected on all cameras.

MikeLud1

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

EyeOfSauron,

Have you heard back from Ken on this issue?