Video Storage on NAS

srvfan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This is probably a dumb question so please forgive me. As mentioned before I’m relatively new to both networking and Blue Iris.
Instead of buying another HDD and installing in the BI server/computer, I was thinking about getting a synology NAS. I was planning on installing some drives to hold media such as movies, kind of like a Plex server. I was also going to install a Western Digital purple drive to hold surveillance footage.
If I go into BI settings for clips and archiving and set the videos to be stored in the NAS, will these be accessible via the mobile app? As of now, everything is stored in the BI computer and I have no trouble accessing clips and alerts.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can use a NAS to stored video. But I do not recommend used the NAS to store the Video as it is recorded. A NAS is good at storing a whole complete files, it is good a reading files. It is NOT good at writing single blocks to multiple files at the same time. ( recording multiple cameras)

Store the new files on a local drive, them have BI more them to a stored folder on the NAS.

srvfan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You can use a NAS to stored video. But I do not recommend used the NAS to store the Video as it is recorded. A NAS is good at storing a whole complete files, it is good a reading files. It is NOT good at writing single blocks to multiple files at the same time. ( recording multiple cameras)

Store the new files on a local drive, them have BI more them to a stored folder on the NAS.
Ok, thank you for the information. So technically, I should record directly to the hard drive on my BI computer, and then move the clips over to the NAS like a day or so later, correct?
If that is indeed correct, would I be better off utilizing a purple surveillance drive, or would there be a better option? Just asking because it was my understanding that a surveillance drive would be for constantly writing info. If I’m only writing files once a day or once every two days, could I get away with a cheaper option?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Use the surveillance drive in the PC. You can use any type or hard drive in the NAS.

A 4 TB wd purple drive is about $90. Depending on the number of cameras you may be able to use a 1TB for abut $55

srvfan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Use the surveillance drive in the PC. You can use any type or hard drive in the NAS.

A 4 TB wd purple drive is about $90. Depending on the number of cameras you may be able to use a 1TB for abut $55
Wonderful! Thank you much for the info and assistance!