Video Tearing in Recorded Files in BI5 and Push to Talk Issues with Blue Iris App (Android)

thewolf56

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello All,

I have read multiple threads here, read the applicable portions of the BI 5 help file (which is very informative), read the Wiki, and have tried multiple solutions to no avail for the following 2 issues I am having with my Blue Iris 5 setup.

1) Video recording is tearing (some call it ghosting) when watching recorded video. Live videos are fine. Camera and BI5 are using HA through Intel QS.

2) I am unable to get my Dahua IPC-A35 to utilize the push to talk function through the BI App (Android). I am unable to test at the BI console as I do not have a mic or speakers on the server.

My setup
Camera 1 - Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z (only camera recording), constant recording, triggers setup using IVS intrusion to trigger BI
Camera 2 - Dahua DH-IPC-A35 (nursery cam)

BI Computer setup

Blue Iris 5.0.6.1 (registered)
CPU- Intel i5-9600K
GPU Drivers 26.20.100.7372 (have tried originally 25.20.100.6911, then downgraded to 25.20.100.6374, now at current with same result)
16GB Ram
62.6 MP/s camera stream
BI CPU Usage: Console closed 3.6%, Console Open 7.0%
BI GPU Usage 3.5%
Overall system CPU Usage 7.0%
Win 10 Pro 64 1903
WD Purple 4TB for recording (2.91 TB free)
Samsung 970 evo+ 500GB OS, program files, and Database

HDW-5231R-Z settings (where video recordings tear)
1573757377876.png

BI Settings Using Find/Inspect
1573757514314.png

1573757558506.png

1573758187227.png
1573758916974.png

IPC-A35 Settings
1573757739970.png

Push to talk works using gDMSS Lite on my Android phone. phone is local for testing the ptt function. Any connection to the BI server from outside the home is using a VPN connection.

Please let me know if any other information is needed to help resolve these issues.

Thanks in advance

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Keep going down in the versions of the vid drivers, I had a similar issue recently and found that Windows has updated the drivers, luckily I had the previous version saved away so installing them fixed the issue for me.

thewolf56

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Keep going down in the versions of the vid drivers, I had a similar issue recently and found that Windows has updated the drivers, luckily I had the previous version saved away so installing them fixed the issue for me.
The biggest problem is that version 25.20.100.6374 is the lowest version I could get. It's actually lower than the lowest version available on Intel's website for 9th gen CPUs. Do you know what version you re using?

I had used the group policy exception as mentioned in the wiki to stop driver upgrades, but even 25.20.100.6374 resulted in tearing.

I don't know if 8th gen drivers will work with 9th gen CPUs even if the GPU is the same. I also looked to find the sdks, but I cannot find them in the Intel directory listed in the memory leak thread (I do not have a memory leak, but I know that good drivers were a solution to that problem).

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
My PC is a 6th gen i5 6500 so not too sure in terms of driver versions that you might be able to try.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Have a read through this thread where I posted when having similar issues and mentioned the drivers I used to resolve the issue.

BI playback is pixelated and freezing

thewolf56

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Have a read through this thread where I posted when having similar issues and mentioned the drivers I used to resolve the issue.

Thanks, I didn't see that in my search (and that is a pretty recent thread). I'll take a look and report back.

thewolf56

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Dang. I had finished reading through page 2 (made a couple of changes without changing drivers and now not seeing tearing, but seeing ghosting which is probably a function of my WDR, sharpness, or noise reduction settings in camera), but that thread cannot be found now...

vidmo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If your CPU is too new to use the ONE driver listed in the wiki that does not have issues, you're out of luck. Just turn off intel quick sync, report the issue to support and maybe at some point in the future this defect might be mitigated or fixed.

thewolf56

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My tearing is back. after reviewing some of the footage yesterday, it has reappeared. It doesn't occur in every scene, but it is definitely there if there is quite a bit of motion. Downgraded drivers to 25.20.6374 (which is the lowest installed directly from windows 10) and it is still there. Nothing is older on the intel website.

There must be at least one person that has a 9th gen Intel using Quick sync without tearing on recorded videos.

thewolf56

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I saw that the Memory Leak section of the Wiki was updated to include drivers for the 8th gen that are actually available on the Intel website that are known to be good. I downloaded 26.20.100.7323 and installed. We'll see how that goes.

iseeker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I saw that the Memory Leak section of the Wiki was updated to include drivers for the 8th gen that are actually available on the Intel website that are known to be good. I downloaded 26.20.100.7323 and installed. We'll see how that goes.
Did it work for you? I downloaded the same recently and tried, turned back on HA with intel...and...same issue still (tearing, blurring, etc). Too bad.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Did it work for you? I downloaded the same recently and tried, turned back on HA with intel...and...same issue still (tearing, blurring, etc). Too bad.
Are you running your system headless?

iseeker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@fenderman - had to look up headless. Yes, headless (if that means without monitor and remoting in on local network). However, I've also dragged my monitor over the BI PC and hooked it up. Same results of the tests. Happy to try again (bought a 15' DP to DP cable just for that purpose) with the new driver if we think it might help. My test results are the same whether remoting in, viewing on BI app, or viewing directly connected a monitor (i.e. - HA off, no tearing. HA on, tearing).

iseeker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

FYI - pretty sure I've read this thread, but the link isn't working (right now) above and couldn't find it through search. maybe forum bug right now?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@fenderman - had to look up headless. Yes, headless (if that means without monitor and remoting in on local network). However, I've also dragged my monitor over the BI PC and hooked it up. Same results of the tests. Happy to try again (bought a 15' DP to DP cable just for that purpose) with the new driver if we think it might help. My test results are the same whether remoting in, viewing on BI app, or viewing directly connected a monitor (i.e. - HA off, no tearing. HA on, tearing).
Try it again, but note, you must watch new video that is recorded while the monitor is powered on. If the video is recorded without the monitor it will always show the tearing regardless. If a monitor resolves the problem and you want to continue running headless, look into something like this, however I have not tested them myself. Robot Check

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

iseeker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Try it again, but note, you must watch new video that is recorded while the monitor is powered on. If the video is recorded without the monitor it will always show the tearing regardless. If a monitor resolves the problem and you want to continue running headless, look into something like this, however I have not tested them myself. Robot Check
Interesting. I'll attach the monitor tomorrow and test.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

thewolf56

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are you running your system headless?

That is the goal as the final location for this will be in a hidden location. Right now it is hooked up to a dual HDMI 4-port KVM while it is being setup.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That is the goal as the final location for this will be in a hidden location. Right now it is hooked up to a dual HDMI 4-port KVM while it is being setup.
hook it up directly to the monitor and test with new recorded video.

thewolf56

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
hook it up directly to the monitor and test with new recorded video.

I'll try that out. I can spare a monitor, but would still need the KVM for keyboard and mouse (or use teamviewer)

thewolf56

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Even still hooked up through KVM, there has been an improvement so far last night and this morning. Received a late delivery from Amazon last night and no tearing. Also, no tearing this morning when someone arrived at my house.

However, 3 thoughts on the improvement:
  1. In IR mode, previously with the other drivers, the tearing was minimal.
  2. The recording this morning occurred with the monitor on and the BI machine selected on the KVM (so the GPU saw the display)
  3. The worst tearing would occur in the recording when my wife would take my daughter to school in the morning. This would occur within an hour after sunrise and although my computer does not have a direct shot at the sun in its FOV, that is the time where there is probably the most amount of color and luminance information during the day for the camera to pick up, so the tearing would be really bad for the part where the vehicle is moving down the driveway.
    1. I bring this up as I remember my first IP cam was a Foscam that I used for a nursery cam for my oldest (I have learned a lot since then and use a wired Dahua in my current nursery) and one of the issues I read on a review was that sunrise would basically overload the camera and cause it to reboot due to that camera chip (or sensor) not being able to process all of the picture info, even though the resolution was only 640x480.
    2. I don't think this is the issue with the camera, but it may be the that the tearing occurs as a result of the KVM disabling the GPU by disconnecting the display at the time that blue iris is trying to use the disabled GPU when there is a ton of information to process. It may explain why the tearing in IR mode (B&W) would be in very short bursts, but the morning tearing would result in a very long streak for several frames and even seconds.
    3. I do not have any technical knowledge to know that this is the actual reason for the tearing, but @fenderman 's question about the headless setup makes me wonder if this isn't a driver issue for 9th gen CPUs as much as it is a "keeping the GPU enabled" issue. If that device (or keeping it directly attached to a monitor) fixes the issue I hope that information could be added somewhere where it could be easily found.