View Control

Gonzo

n3wb
Reaction score
All,

I am currently working on re-establishing my camera setup because I just moved. Previously I was using a Zmodo DVR with hard wired cameras at my last place. I had 8 cameras setup and connected to the DVR and then the DVR attached to my TV. The ideal being if you heard something outside it was just a quick button press to get the DVR up on the big screen and you could then press through the cameras with the remote. Unfortunately my wife also discovered she could watch the birds on her feeders and the squirrels running around. She is not technically savvy, but a remote she knows how to use.

I also have been using blue Iris to connect to a camera I have located on some remote property. I absolutely love the ease of the Blue Iris software. I want to use it, instead of the DVR, at my new place. since I expect a 12 camera installation, some of them wireless, I think Blue Iris is the correct solution. I can even work out how to connect it to the television without much problem and networking is easy for me. My problem lies in the control. My wife got used to that remote and I am trying to find out if their are units I can integrate with blue iris to give me this sort of functionality. Ideally something similar to a remote with button presses that can bring a particular screen to the forefront for main viewing.

I have checked this forum, and others with no luck. I have also checked all the documentation I can find. Does anyone have a suggestion for a base station control that will integrate with Blue Iris I can look at, or am I looking for a unobtanium device?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@Gonzo ,You can do this using two ways...if you hook the blue iris pc up to the tv, you can just use a pc remote
http://www.amazon.com/Aerb-Multifunction-Wireless-Keyboard-3-Gsensor/dp/B00K768DHY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419306457&sr=8-1&keywords=wireless+pc+remote
or http://www.amazon.com/SANOXY®-Wireless-Remote-Control-Mouse/dp/B0050PUGZE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1419306457&sr=8-2&keywords=wireless+pc+remote
Alternatively you can use and android pc with ipcamviewer or similar. There are remotes for them as well..maybe user @TechBill can comment if the amazon fire tv allows the selection of a camera via the remote...he has posted that he is using a fire tv with an android app.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
You can do this using two ways...if you hook the blue iris pc up to the tv, you can just use a pc remote
http://www.amazon.com/Aerb-Multifunction-Wireless-Keyboard-3-Gsensor/dp/B00K768DHY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419306457&sr=8-1&keywords=wireless+pc+remote
or http://www.amazon.com/SANOXY®-Wireless-Remote-Control-Mouse/dp/B0050PUGZE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1419306457&sr=8-2&keywords=wireless+pc+remote
Alternatively you can use and android pc with ipcamviewer or similar. There are remotes for them as well..maybe user @TechBill can comment if the amazon fire tv allows the selection of a camera via the remote...he has posted that he is using a fire tv with an android app.
I have tinyCam Pro running on amazon fire tv stick.

It will allow me to quickly view all my cameras in mult-cam view or view one camera at a time on the fly. When you are in the multi-cam view, you can select one of the cam and view it in full screen at a press of a remote button. Also in full screen, you can quickly select from one camera to next camera in the list and it will cycle back or you can go back to mult-cam view again.

I only have 3 cameras running on it so far. I don't know how well the app will handle with 12 cameras but you can add cameras your spouse may only be interested viewing with like front door, bird feeder, back yard to watch the kids etc.

It even have a button to take picture but I haven't figure out where it is saved on Amazon fire stick or how to get it yet.

I just start playing with it last week but I think my family will benefit from it greatly by checking to see who at the door on a fly of a button. It's CEC supported so if your TV have CEC then fire stick will automatically switch the source view to the HDMI port it's plugged into or turn on your TV when you press a button on remote.

But it not something I would use as a NVR but only to monitor on the fly when needed.

Bill

Gonzo

n3wb
Reaction score
I was thinking of trying one of these but was curious if anyone had integrated or could recommend one for my application. I think your second suggestion, of the fire TV, might be the better solution though.

I just start playing with it last week but I think my family will benefit from it greatly by checking to see who at the door on a fly of a button. It's CEC supported so if your TV have CEC then fire stick will automatically switch the source view to the HDMI port it's plugged into or turn on your TV when you press a button on remote.
Awesome, this is exactly the behavior I am looking for. You are correct it gives my wife a great feeling of safety when I am not home if she can, at a flick of a button, check all the cameras around the house. I had not even thought of using the blue iris server interface to deliver the content out that I am looking for. This is a very workable avenue. It also nicely solved the PC location issue, as with this method I can have it anywhere since the content is being delivered over the network to the fire stick.

Thanks for the Ideas guys!

Gonzo