View Hikvision cameras without a browser plugin?

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Whilst the firmware for my 4 Dahua cameras mean there is no need for me to install a browser plugin, my 4 Hikvison cameras still seem to need a plugin. Is this still the case in 2022?
As someone who mostly uses PCs running Linux it would be an advantage not to need browser plugins.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
What's the model of the Hikvision cameras and their firmware version?
The newer firmware (depends on the camera model) uses the 'websocket' browser facility to render video, without the need for a proprietary plugin.

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for responding to my enquiry, my Hikvision cameras in service are-
DS-2CD2035FWD-I 3MP Hikvision G1 series fixed Bullet firmware V5.6.6 build 210625
DS-2CD2135FWD-I 3MP fixed Dome firmware V5.6.6 build 210625
DS-2CD2135FWD-I 3MP fixed Dome firmware V5.6.0 build 190507.
PTZ DS-2DE4A425IW-DE PTZ (auto-tracking not configured) firmware V5.6.16 build 200925. Though I am not using the PTZ's auto-tracking I would only update the firmware if I was certain that auto-tracking was retained.

I use the Virtual Host feature on my Hik NVR with Linux Ubuntu Mate desktop browsers, or Blue Moon browser under Wine, or ONVIF Manger under Wine. I also use a VLC playlist that picks up the RTSP streams through Virtual Host.
My BI PC has a 2nd NIC for the cameras' subnet, as you would expect.
I suppose I could feed my Linux PC with the cameras' subnet but I don't want to mess with the IP settings or install a 2nd NIC, even then I'd still have an issue with Hikvision plugins, unless newer firmware is browser plugin free.

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Looking back, it seems that for G1 series cameras, firmware versions of 5.5.80 and later introduced the 'libwebsockets_server.so' library that allowed video rendering without the proprietary plugin.
Despite that, though, it's still heavily oriented around the use of Edge in Windows.

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for that info, I think for now I'll keep the cameras' firmware as it is.
With previous versions of Pale Moon under Wine that I used, the Hikvision plugin was accepted. A while back I also had Ubuntu's Chrome displaying Live Views but I've several options including BI.
I'll just add a note about ONVIF Manger for those using Linux, ONVIF Manager will run under Wine but you need 32bit. Wine does it's best to keep giving you 64bit and I had no success with this.