View IP Camera on TV

RichardU

n3wb
Reaction score
I want to be able to view my IP Cameras on a television (PIP). I'm thinking of getting an Android MiniPC to read the data over the network and display it through HDMI. I can use Tasker to do a lot with Android, and the cost per TV is fairly low.

Does anyone have any better ideas? Raspberry Pi? Anything else?

Thanks,

Richard

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Does any of these HDMI sticks get power directly from the HDMI rather than USB? And do any of them work with the Iphone rather than Android? I bought one stick that said compatible with Iphone, but it only worked with pics and videos. And, it took forever to buffer from picture to picture. I need one that will display IDMSS on a TV. I know I can use Apple TV, but I'm looking for a stick that will just plug into HDMI and thats it.

burtonvdp

n3wb
Reaction score
Im waiting for these apps to be able to cast to a chromecast. There are some work arounds but you need a Nexus 5 or chrome for android (Beta) needs to be compatible with the web version of the software.

Kyle

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Im waiting for these apps to be able to cast to a chromecast. There are some work arounds but you need a Nexus 5 or chrome for android (Beta) needs to be compatible with the web version of the software.
That's the same things I've been hoping for! I do have a mini android device I have connected to the TV.. But chromecast would be cool

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

catseyenu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I haven't looked yet but is there any way to get video off a Roku?
Trying to work with what I already have in place.

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't understand. The android stick is way more powerful than a Roku with maybe hundreds of thousands of available apps and certainly a huge selection of camera apps. In contrast the Roku we have is very slow like for Netflix and huge in size compared to the mini Android computers. I just plugged it into a TV on the back, unnoticeable, no power cord, just plugs into the HDMI port and USB port and done, very responsive like a good tablet or cell phone and cheap. I would get it instead of a Roku even if I didn't own a camera.

My understand with Chromecast is displays Android from an app on your Android phone. Can't you run the Chromecast app on the mini Android? Seems like amazing device, after all, why plug the Android device directly into the TV when you can buy another device that not only wastes $35 but adds an extra layer of complication and electric use to be in-between or do I misunderstand what it does?

catseyenu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Trying to work with what I already have in place.
I'm cheap. :D
Small cost for the mini pc in the big picture and possibly a more elegant solution.
It's what I'll probably end up with but in the mean time I was going to play with what's already in place.

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does Roku have a web browser now (mine is old), then you may be able to use the browser and access the BlueIris web client. Here's a link I found on how to add a browser to Roku.

- - - Updated - - -

Does Roku have a web browser now (mine is old), then you may be able to use the browser and access the BlueIris web client. Here's a link I found on how to add a browser to Roku - http://networkdisconnected.blogspot.com/2014/02/an-intro-to-roku-3-how-to-browse.html

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My customer has iphones and ipads so an apple TV would work perfect. You can mirror what your watching on the iphone so he can actually use the iphone using idmss and even change the screen and what not. I'm just avoiding having to pay 100.00 for something just to watch the cameras on his TV

catseyenu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does Roku have a web browser now (mine is old), then you may be able to use the browser and access the BlueIris web client. Here's a link I found on how to add a browser to Roku.

- - - Updated - - -

Does Roku have a web browser now (mine is old), then you may be able to use the browser and access the BlueIris web client. Here's a link I found on how to add a browser to Roku - http://networkdisconnected.blogspot.com/2014/02/an-intro-to-roku-3-how-to-browse.html
Looks like the Roku browser is a little "rough" and the Roku's supported video formats might be problematic.
This guy got it going but it requires quite a bit more than the mini pc.

http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=39670&start=15#p314737

I got it working but I had to use VLC to restream the video in order to support HLS.
I'm using an Axis M1011-W IP Camera.
I'm using Ubuntu with Apache as web server and the latest (nightly build) version of VLC. As I understand it, this funcionality can only be done with version 1.2 of VLC (which as of this writing is not released yet so you need the nightly builds)

Basically I run VLC from a computer (I may install it on a server later) to get the rtsp stream from the camera and I save it on a web server.
Basically the steps are:
1- VLC - Get the video stream from the camera, prepare the files for http live streaming
2- Save those files on a directory accesible by a Web Server
3- Use the web address of the stream within the Roku application

The steps with a little more detail:

RichardU

n3wb
Reaction score
I see that the RK3288 MiniPCs are about to be available and seem to have a worthy bump over the performance of the current RK3188 models.

catseyenu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I see that the RK3288 MiniPCs are about to be available and seem to have a worthy bump over the performance of the current RK3188 models.
Where did you see this?
I'm new to MiniPC's, any suggested links to get me up to speed appreciated.

Kyle

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

I just received an update for IP Cam Viewer Pro for android and it now supports chromecast. I just tried it and its VERY slow.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What app does one run on the mini pc stick?
A generic one that is compatible with multiple vendors?
Or just the app from the vendor which hardware/software you use on the pc/nvr/nas?

I've used one of those sticks in the past and wasn't impressed with the speed. It'd be worried it couldn't handle pulling in n feeds and not overload.

catseyenu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What app does one run on the mini pc stick?
A generic one that is compatible with multiple vendors?
Or just the app from the vendor which hardware/software you use on the pc/nvr/nas?

I've used one of those sticks in the past and wasn't impressed with the speed. It'd be worried it couldn't handle pulling in n feeds and not overload.
networkcameracritic used IP Cam Viewer.

http://www.networkcameracritic.com/?p=1049