View IP Cameras Remotely

Reaction score
Hi to the ppl of ipcamtalk,

Noob here! I have two IP cameras that I would like to view remotely on the same network.
  • Zmodo ZM-SH-721 Ezcam
  • ESCAM Peashooter QD520

Both Cameras use H.264 video encoding. So I port forwarded 10554 for Zmodo and 554 for Escam. Created a DDNS with No-IP to update my IP address to a Domain Name.

I am having trouble viewing my cameras clearly and easily outside of my LAN. I am using VLC's GUI Interfaces with "Open Network" using a RTSP url.

A lot of lag, screen is green when starting up, drops and turns white, etc... I think I am loosing packets, don't know, I am a noob.

How can I capture the stream from the cameras, remotely?

The network the cameras are on look like this:
Modem > Router > Camera

Urls look like this:

rtsp://domain.ddns.net:554//user=user&password=password&channel=1&stream=0.sdp

rtsp://user:_password@domain.ddns.net:10554/tcp/av0_0

I did lots of research and still cannot figure it out. The community of ipcamtalk is my last hope :)

Last edited by a moderator:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
You have not specified the upload speed of your internet connection.
VLC in 'media info' will confirm that you are losing most frames.
The normal 'main stream' data rate will be maybe 5Mbps, your upload speed may be 1Mbps, a big mismatch.
If so - you will need to select the sub-stream in your RTSP string in order to achieve a usable remote connection.

Reaction score
Thank you for your response.

I don't think that is the case because according to https://exacq.com/config/ which is a bandwidth calculator my configure should take up 1.4 MB/S. The main stream for peashooter is 720P with 10 FPS. Also my ISP provides me with 50/10 MB/S.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
With respect, you are confusing Mbps (mega bits per second) with MB/s (mega bytes per second), which I had thought might be the source of your problem in determining if your service could the handle primary stream data rate.
However, with a 50/10 ?? service from your ISP it's presumably a fibre connection, which is a lot less asymmetric than an ADSL2+ service, so presumably the 10 is 10Mbps, which should just about be OK for the camera if nothing else is consuming the connection.

You should be able to test the substream performance if you know the RTSP URL for the substream - probably just a matter of replacing the '0' with a '1' in the last section of the RTSP URL. If that works OK, then the service upload bandwidth may be the cause of the problem.
Also - VLC media / codec info should give some useful info on the stream rate and frame statistics.