Viewer Only Software?

smcnally

n3wb
Reaction score
I've been a Milestone user for awhile now and, while I love their mobile app, I've had so many issues with all the required services randomly stopping in their own, and the software seems like overkill for what I need.

The other issue I'm exeriencing with Milestone is that it doesn't support audio streams for the cameras I have installed (not a deal breaker but would be nice to have). I have six dLink DCS-932LB cameras and one Logitech Alert 700e outdoor camera. The dLink cameras have mjpeg video with a separate audio stream (I believe it's AAC), and the 700e provides and RTSP stream with AAC audio. Xprotect Go doesn't support AAC, and I thought Xprotect Essentials did, but I just installed the demo and it still doesn't offer AAC as a selection.

I'm looking for some sort of software that just really acts as an encoder that will let me view each camera and also view a grid of the cameras. I'm not as concerned about being able to record, because my cameras are more for checking on our barn animals while we are away. A nicely polished mobile app would be a bonus, but I'd be fine with something that provides specific streams that I can view for grid views and individual cameras.

Does anyone here have any suggestions? Or would I be better off buying a hardware solution instead?

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Perhaps Blue Iris (BI) server software along with the Blue Iris Viewer app? These two software products work superbly in tandem and would cost only about $70.00 total. The BI server software runs on your desktop computer and has some significant CPU requirements. Please answer these questions so we can evaluate your needs...

1. How many cameras do you have?
  2. How many frames per second do you want to run each camera at?
  3. What kind of CPU does your computer contain?

pcunite

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would think that Blue Iris would come with a RTSP viewer application to compliment their server recording backend product. Would do well, I'd imagine. Outside of that OBS Studio does work, but does not auto layout new cameras. Kinda a pain to setup and then interact with the cameras (if you want to hear audio on one for example).

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I would think that Blue Iris would come with a RTSP viewer application to compliment their server recording backend product. Would do well, I'd imagine. Outside of that OBS Studio does work, but does not auto layout new cameras. Kinda a pain to setup and then interact with the cameras (if you want to hear audio on one for example).
FYI this is a 7 year old thread. Blue iris has a built in webserver...