Viewing Dahua snapshots

davesims

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all

I just have a question around viewing snapshot on a Dahia camera and NVR, have just got a Dahua NVR5208-8P-4KS2E NVR and a couple of Dahua cameras, I have set the camera to take snapshots and well as the NVR, are the snapshots stored to the NVR if so where do you view them?or do you have the have a mem card in the camera to store them?

Also, I am using the IVS rules on new cameras with Human and car detection, it is detecting these items and i can search on them but they are not flagging an alarm event on the line, On my old Hikvison you could set to send an alarm to the security center can this be done on the Dahua's?

The NVR is V4 firmware

Thanks in advance

davesims

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
For the IVs events on the timeline - On the NVR you ahve to ahve them set to record.

See post #2 on this thread
***PSA for those with a New DAHUA NVR with Built-in PoE switch
Hi mate thank you for that

I have it set up the way you have explained in post 2 including snapshots when going to the playback section of the web GUI (Search) and selecting the camera with the IVS human and Vehicle detection enabled (and is capturing) i just get a sold green bar on the timeline, there is no alters IVS flags showing

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Honestly I’ve not yet found snapshots in the 4.0 GUI myself....... ?

On IVS events showing on the timeline, do you also have “record” checked on the IVS rule on the camera itself? Assume viewing it live the IVS lines flash red when tripped?

also a reboot sometimes helps synch the cameras to the NVR...

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Not sure if this is correct but in the past when I had pictures set up, in search page on the nvr top right there's a drop down for choosing recordings or pictures. If memory serves pictures populate a list, not the playback time line. Hope that is correct and it helps.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Quick side question and then I'll back out. I'm getting a 4208-8p 4k nvr from Andy this week. Is 4.0 recommend if it's not updated to that out of the box? Seems I recall 4.0 is buggy to large extents.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I dunno, I have a couple that at 4.0 and a couple at 3.0.... didn’t think the 4.0 upgrade offered much unless you’re doing fancy AI. Some things seem to be missing

davesims

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Honestly I’ve not yet found snapshots in the 4.0 GUI myself....... ?

On IVS events showing on the timeline, do you also have “record” checked on the IVS rule on the camera itself? Assume viewing it live the IVS lines flash red when tripped?

also a reboot sometimes helps synch the cameras to the NVR...
Hi Bigredfish

Yep have the record checked on the IVE rule and the screen flashes when tripped and watching live cam in AI mode it throws up the captures on the right side but no events show on the time line at all

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
So it’s firing but not showing as recorded. Sounds like camera is fine.
Are you using IE to access the NVR? Some browsers work better than others.

You could also download and install Smartpss which is a much better way to view live as well as review/download video than the NVR interface.... it may be simply your not seeing the hash marks ....

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Actually I may have just discovered something .....

I changed an IVS rule on a PTZ I'm testing this morning. I had been using Tripwire and all was working as it should. Tripwire activated, I got the hash mark on the playback timeline as expected.

Then I changed to an Intrusion box at about 9am today.
With Intrusion, I was getting the same thing you are experiencing. Plenty of obvious events I was seeing when watching live, but just checked a moment ago and not a single hash mark event on the timeline. hmmmm

Researching/testing.. will advise

davesims

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So it’s firing but not showing as recorded. Sounds like camera is fine.
Are you using IE to access the NVR? Some browsers work better than others.

You could also download and install Smartpss which is a much better way to view live as well as review/download video than the NVR interface.... it may be simply your not seeing the hash marks ....
Hi Bigredfish

Yeah, i was using IE and have now downloaded Smart PS and it's giving the same results. I have noticed motion detection on another camera will indicate the event on my timeline but again not IVS human and Vehicle. I have one of the new cams here in Australia the HDW4631TMP-AS which has SMD enabled so I disabled the smart plan along with IVS the troublesome camera and enabled SMD on both Human and Vehicle and because is an extension of motion detection it records the event on my timeline.

I came across another issue, I have an HDW4631TMP-AS which has face detection, and for love nor money can I get that to recognize a face at all, i followed about 5 different setup guides and i just will not work

davesims

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

I changed an IVS rule on a PTZ I'm testing this morning. I had been using Tripwire and all was working as it should. Tripwire activated, I got the hash mark on the playback timeline as expected.

With Intrusion, I was getting the same thing you are experiencing. Plenty of obvious events I was seeing when watching live, but just checked a moment ago and not a single hash mark event on the timeline. hmmmm

Wow man i appreciate all the trouble you are going to but i am glad I am not the only one this happened too, its seems like there is not linkage between the smart plan and indicators?

davesims

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Hi again, i seem to have got it working but not what i expected

I have Smart plan set and intrusion detection which obviously falls under IVS and target filter set to human, the linkage i thought should have been Report Alarm turn out to not matter as far as the timeline indication goes, but under the more options section and checking the "Log" allowed the indicator on the timeline. The weird part is that even tho intrusion detection comes under IVS the indicator on the timeline shows as motion detection

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Regarding viewing snapshots: on your mobile app, you have the option for: live feed, playback clip, or "pictures". Plus on the homescreen, instead of choosing Video (for playback), you take "Pictures". And then you'll see the blue blops on the timeline, those are your snapshots. much faster to skim through events like that.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
@catcamstar i assume you’re talking about the DMSS mobile app? Yes that works.

We’re talking about the local NVR using the new 4.0 web GUI. (Or SmartPSS desktop)

I have dozens of cameras across multiple systems working as expected. IVS events show on the timeline as do SMD events as expected.

But on this one ptz just yesterday per my post #14 above it suddenly stopped displaying IVS events on the playback timeline when switching to Intrusion zone.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
@catcamstar i assume you’re talking about the DMSS mobile app? Yes that works.

We’re talking about the local NVR using the new 4.0 web GUI. (Or SmartPSS desktop)

I have dozens of cameras across multiple systems working as expected. IVS events show on the timeline as do SMD events as expected.

But on this one ptz just yesterday per my post #14 above it suddenly stopped displaying IVS events on the playback timeline when switching to Intrusion zone.
Ow I'm sorry, in the original start post there was a question on how to "view" the snapshots. I haven't figured out where to see them in the 4.0 web service interface either, but that's not a great "loss".

No idea what's going on with your PTZ. You might want to try to factory reset the ptz, but it'll inherit the existing config from the NVR I guess, so it's either connecting to another port and hope it doesn't push "bad" config downstream.