Vm performance issues

howardrya

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm having performance issues on my vm. I'm running blue iris on windows server 2012 on top of VMware esxi 6 which is on a poweredge r710. The vm has 8 cpu cores and 8gb of ram. The camera is capable of recording at 20fps on a different blue iris server. However, in this vm the performance hovers around 2-8 fps. Any suggestions?

rmw85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Doest it appear to show 2-8FPS? I had an issue with one camera showing 5FPS but it obviously wasnt recording or showing that. I removed the camera brought it back into BI and it was fine again in BI.

howardrya

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes it's recording very slowly. Around 5 fps. I can try removing and adding the camera again later. I emailed bi support a couple days ago, but haven't heard anything.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
are you saving direct to disk? your VM offers absolutely zero hardware acceleration of video transcoding compared to a bare metal.. you likely cant even have the videos being displayed without hardware support.

howardrya

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm saving direct to disk. Windows firewall is off, and there is no other antivirus on the server.
No networking bottleneck, the camera is plugged directly into the server's nic. The cable has passed all tests, and is capable of carrying a gigabit connection.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm saving direct to disk. Windows firewall is off, and there is no other antivirus on the server.
No networking bottleneck, the camera is plugged directly into the server's nic. The cable has passed all tests, and is capable of carrying a gigabit connection.

are you running in demo mode?

eandrews19

n3wb
Reaction score
Have you tried dedicating a separate lun and creating a vmdk file only for the target recording drive?

howardrya

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm not recording on any local drives. The vm is attached via iscsi with 10gb fiber to my Freenas server.

ipcamal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Look at performance in vcenter. What does it show for CPU and storage and network graphs?

howardrya

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't have a vcenter server, still using the desktop vsphere client. I attached the cpu and network graphs from the vm's performance tab. I also attached a crystal disk mark test and an the vm's performance tab in windows while blue iris is recording. vmnic2 is the one used to connect to the camera network. In windows the first nic is the camera network, second is the storage network, and third is the main nic connected to my house's network. I'm using external storage configured through the vm, and not attached within esxi, so the storage graphs are meaningless. I stopped recording around 9:10, and the spike in all the graphs if where I started a crystal disk mark test on my iscsi storage.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

ipcamal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
are u using vmxnet3 nic? try doing cpu as 2 sockets and 4 cores instead of 1x8. how is the vm's recording storage connected? can you post settings screen shot of the vm? Vmware tools installed? what is the cpu usage inside the vm when BI4 is running and recording?

howardrya

n3wb
Reaction score
The freenas server is connected with a 10gb DAC directly (PTP) to the esxi server. The storage network has its own vswitch which currently only has one vm using it (The blue iris one) from the vswitch I'm using the vmxnet3 nic to connect it to the windows vm. Then in windows Its connected with iscsi. Vmware tools is installed. The windows performance tab screenshot from my previous post was while it was recording. I will try changing it to 2 sockets/4cores each, and will report back later.

rmw85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Changing sockets generally doesnt do anything can make it worse. Whats the performance on the vmware server all together? Troubleshooting vmware performance issues can be fun sometimes.

ipcamal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Changing sockets generally doesnt do anything can make it worse. Whats the performance on the vmware server all together? Troubleshooting vmware performance issues can be fun sometimes.
Depends on physical cpu and server. R710 is not the newest server.

What is the physical CPU model?

OP have you tried going to vmdk disk instead of iscsi inside the vm? Also can you post a cpu usage inside the vm for all 8 cores? not combined

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Side note, that r710 is a huge power hog. Its not worth running it 24/7 as an nvr unless your electricity is free.

howardrya

n3wb
Reaction score
I've attached the summary page from vsphere and the cpu usage per core from windows. Changing to 2 sockets/4 cores didn't do much, but didn't make it worse. The server specs are in the summary page. I like my r710, its my main esxi server, and I host about 10 different virtual machines. It only draws about 140w under load, that's not too bad. It does a lot more than nvr.

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It only draws about 140w under load, that's not too bad. It does a lot more than nvr.
140w is a lot. Running 24/7 if your rates are 20c a kwh you are paying $244 per year...an i5-4590 will draw about 50w under similar load....that a difference of $157 per year...

rmw85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
140w is a lot. Running 24/7 if your rates are 20c a kwh you are paying $244 per year...an i5-4590 will draw about 50w under similar load....that a difference of $157 per year...
hes running 10 vm's on one machine. So thats 14 watts a machine. Or cheaper than that I5

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
hes running 10 vm's on one machine. So thats 14 watts a machine. Or cheaper than that I5
lol, You can run 10 vm's on the i5 :) The i5 is more powerful than the dual xeons in the r710...if he has dual...if its a single which it may be, then the difference is dramatic...