Vm performance issues

rmw85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
He is single socket i see from last picture. I bet thats exactly where his issue lie with 10 desktops. Bet if you dig deeper he has major wait/schedule issues.

rmw85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Howardrya tell it to only have 4 cores and shut down as many vms as you can. I bet you notice a difference.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
He is single socket i see from last picture. I bet thats exactly where his issue lie with 10 desktops. Bet if you dig deeper he has major wait/schedule issues.
That explains only 140w when others with the dual are seeing 200+...regardless, I could never pay the electric company all that cash when I can buy a newer much faster system which will pay for itself in less than two years.

ipcamal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yep bring it down to 4 cpus instead of 8. as rmw85 suggested shutdown the rest of the vms and test it. When you are recording what is the [FONT=Raleway, sans-serif]%RDY[/FONT] on the BI4 vm? You only have 4 cores and 8 logical ones, decoding will use alot of cpu power so it might benefit better to give it 4 physical cores and not use multithreading. Let me see the BIOS settings of the host specifically the CPU related ones and virtualization settings in the bios

ipcamal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
esxtop is your best option to do live monitoring, specially with one host

howardrya

n3wb
Reaction score
Wow! I'm running with 1 socket/4 cores. The only vm's I have running are this windows vm, and my pfsense router vm. I'm getting the full 20fps and full bitrate. I ran the monitoring command, and I attached the output. The cpu usage in windows shows 80-90%. When I powered on my other vm's I saw my %RDY rise substantially even when they're all running at idle, and my fps dropped. So it looks like I don't have enough cpu power correct? Guess it's time for an upgrade.

Attachments

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
VM's have atrocious Video performance, getting a basic emulated video system on an emulated basic chipset.. BI's been heavily optimized to run on hardware and use acceleration thats not virtualized.

id fully expect BI to crush even the beefiest VM Servers/clusters.. totally inefficient to handle HD video with software alone.. dont care how much ram/cpu/disk speed you can throw at it.. a small chip that consumes a few mW can crush every cpu you have access to combined when it comes to h264 video on hardware vs software.

ipcamal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can't passthrough intel onboard gpu to the vm which sucks. You can passthrough nvidia and AMD video cards but they don't do anytihng to BI. start turning on vms one by one and see what happens to the recordings, hopefully its one vm that causes this and you can keep it off or move it to another esxi host. There is no HA in vm so thats why you are seeing high cpu usage in the vm.