VPN access

Rocky388

n3wb
Reaction score
I setup gDMSS lite on my phone and connected to my dahua nvr to access my cameras. To my knowledge I did not forward any ports, unless that's done automatically through the gdmss setup. This worked, but it was only to try the cameras out as I knew from reading here I need to secure everything with a VPN.

Knowing I was going to setup a VPN, I purchased an asus ac3100 router.

For the setup I followed this: Randy : OpenVPN on a Asus router

I finished the router side of everything, and stopped at the client side - I did not install the openvpn connect app for my phone, nor did I send myself the .ovpn client file.

My question is, why can I still connect and view my camera feeds with the gdmss app while away from home? Shouldn't I need to start the vpn connection first for the app to work?

The reason I didn't finish the phone side of things was to see that the nvr was blocked through the vpn, which I think would prove a correct setup up to that point.

Also to note, while I was away from home I was not able to connect to my routers ip address, which was expected, but when I put 192.168.1.108 in my address bar it loaded the web service login page.

Are there open ports? Port forwarding is not enabled on my router under the "wan - virtual server/port forwarding" page

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I setup gDMSS lite on my phone and connected to my dahua nvr to access my cameras. To my knowledge I did not forward any ports, unless that's done automatically through the gdmss setup. This worked, but it was only to try the cameras out as I knew from reading here I need to secure everything with a VPN.

Knowing I was going to setup a VPN, I purchased an asus ac3100 router.

For the setup I followed this: Randy : OpenVPN on a Asus router

I finished the router side of everything, and stopped at the client side - I did not install the openvpn connect app for my phone, nor did I send myself the .ovpn client file.

My question is, why can I still connect and view my camera feeds with the gdmss app while away from home? Shouldn't I need to start the vpn connection first for the app to work?

The reason I didn't finish the phone side of things was to see that the nvr was blocked through the vpn, which I think would prove a correct setup up to that point.

Also to note, while I was away from home I was not able to connect to my routers ip address, which was expected, but when I put 192.168.1.108 in my address bar it loaded the web service login page.

Are there open ports? Port forwarding is not enabled on my router under the "wan - virtual server/port forwarding" page

Thanks
check your upnp settings..

Rocky388

n3wb
Reaction score
That was it, thanks! It still worked until I disabled easy4ip on my NVR as well.

Completed with the setup and now everything is working well.