VPN + Hikvision NVR + RT-AC66U

Travieso

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Greetings, so I've been doing some research on how to create a VPN to my Hikvision NVR, After reading a few articles on opening Ports I want to protect myself.. I've done some research here and there. I haven't found a straight forward answer on how to create a VPN for my NVR can you guys help me with this? Also have a few questions.

1. My RT-AC66U has VPN Functionality (running Merlin Firmware)

2. My NVR Has a static IP, so whenever I need to access the NVR on my LAN I just put the static ip in my browser and I'm able to stream to my main computer or I could use IVMS - 4200 Lately I've been using IVMS Software I just like how it scales the image better.

3. My wife and I log into our NVR through the IVMS APP and through DDNS, maybe 1-2 a day how would this effect us login in? Will we still be able to log into our NVR Trough our cell phones through the Hikvision APP?

Thanks.

Travieso

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Those two features are disables on my home network AiCloud and AiDisk

And I have the latest Firmware update from Merlin, Merlin is basically Asus Firmware on steroids, Alot of time goes into their Firmware/software vulnerabilities updates.

The first thing I do is always change the pre-set passwords. I'm sure if a someone wants to get into my network they could with vulnerabilities with Microsoft and hikvision.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You would simply use your phones native VPN client to connect to your home network. Your phone will act as if you were home. You can use the local ip address in the hikvision app.

Travieso

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You would simply use your phones native VPN client to connect to your home network. Your phone will act as if you were home. You can use the local ip address in the hikvision app.
Can you elaborate more on this @fenderman, I'm still confused and still haven't set up VPN

Last edited by a moderator:

Martyj

n3wb
Reaction score
What sort of mobile phone do you have? I installed a small app which connects to my vpn server. Then your phone is issued an internal private ip, same as if you were connected on home wifi

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
To your Cameras/NVR and Client Applications the VPN is entirely transparent.. they are clueless it exists.

When the VPN Clients are setup on your phone, you can download a free app that will connect the VPN with a shortcut link.. when you establish the VPN link your home network will think your at home and your phone will think they are on your home network.. just like you were connected to your home wifi, but from thousands of miles away.

Once setup all it does is add a few extra clicks to establish the VPN Link before you open the camera applications...

as an added bonus, any time you or your wife are on an untrusted public wifi.. turn the VPN on, even if you dont want to view cameras it will still encrypt all your data and send it through your home connection.. preventing anyone nearby from monitoring your activity.

JFire

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
To your Cameras/NVR and Client Applications the VPN is entirely transparent.. they are clueless it exists.

When the VPN Clients are setup on your phone, you can download a free app that will connect the VPN with a shortcut link.. when you establish the VPN link your home network will think your at home and your phone will think they are on your home network.. just like you were connected to your home wifi, but from thousands of miles away.

Once setup all it does is add a few extra clicks to establish the VPN Link before you open the camera applications...

as an added bonus, any time you or your wife are on an untrusted public wifi.. turn the VPN on, even if you dont want to view cameras it will still encrypt all your data and send it through your home connection.. preventing anyone nearby from monitoring your activity.
There a specific app you reccomend? Most on the play store are to connect to their vpns, not your own. I did see the app to use if you run open vpn.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The software is built into your phone, there is nothing to download.