VPN iOS app and blue iris

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can anyone suggest a VPN app for iOS? I have a netgear router that has free VPN built in.

I've always used port fwd but people say to use VPN.

I'm not sure how VPN works with Blue Iris app. Do you have to open up the VPN app first on your phone then log into BI?

I guess each IP camera would still need it's on static IP but what about the ports on the cameras? If you use VPN it's like your viewing your cameras locally so would each camera still need it's on different port to work?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Can anyone suggest a VPN app for iOS? I have a netgear router that has free VPN built in.

I've always used port fwd but people say to use VPN.

I'm not sure how VPN works with Blue Iris app. Do you have to open up the VPN app first on your phone then log into BI?

I guess each IP camera would still need it's on static IP but what about the ports on the cameras? If you use VPN it's like your viewing your cameras locally so would each camera still need it's on different port to work?
you would have to change nothing...connect to vpn, login via local ip...disable all port forwarding..
fyi, camera ports can always be the same...they have different ip addresses...

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can ip cameras only use the same ports if your not doing port fwd? Say two cams use port 8000 each with a static IP your router would not know which one to fwd to? I've always used public ip :8000 and the router would fwd that to the right cam. But if use use BI i guess it would not matter.

iOS has a built in VPN but netgear says to use OpenVPN Connect i'm not sure what it matters.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Can ip cameras only use the same ports if your not doing port fwd?
Yes. The cams have unique ip addresses.
Say two cams use port 8000 each with a static IP your router would not know which one to fwd to? I've always used public ip :8000 and the router would fwd that to the right cam.
That had to be defined in your router as to the external port and the internal destination ip and port.

But if use use BI i guess it would not matter.
Just don't port forward.

iOS has a built in VPN but netgear says to use OpenVPN Connect i'm not sure what it matters.
It matters. Follow the Netgear instructions to set up OpenVPN.