VPN Primer for Noobs

What VPN Solution are you using?

• Total voters

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here are some instructions I wrote up
Randy : OpenVPN on a Asus router

There are some router settings missing from the asus page that I needed to do to get it to work.
Also the Asus page doesn't discuss DDNS, which you should set up before VPN. Its in the instructions.

Randy
thx Randy i follow your info and i can connect to asus router finally with192.168.... ..(after 3 weeks found that my isp cs give me wrong name to connect ) i made open vpn and ddns , couple questions
1-do i still need vpn client to make it on router?
2- i have nvr 5216-16p- ks2 and 5 turrets 5231 ,(ptz49is on the way ) how do i see cameras on tablet ( plug nvr to asus router )and what to do next ,i cant find anywhere steps for build in poe nvr

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1. VPN Client on Phone/Tablet/Laptops, VPN Server on your Router.. both are required to create the link
2. You install gDMSS/iDMSS on your tablet and configure it for the local IP of your NVR, when you leave your home network (Your wifi is not in range) simply connect the VPN to reconnect to your home network.

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
man nayr when do you sleep:eek:.....
i already install openvpn connect on phone and tablet (is this client ?) and did instal vpn server on asus router ..when i type 192.168.1.1 on tablet im in asus router .
i will install dmss for android and try to configure local ip of nvr
big thx

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
just 1 quick question where to plug cat 5 cable on nvr 5216 16p anywhere on 16 ports or the one wich is alone ?
i install gdmss but it say locked ?and on on smart pss say offline locked?

Last edited:

cryptelli

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
just 1 quick question where to plug cat 5 cable on nvr 5216 16p anywhere on 16 ports or the one wich is alone ?
Plug it into the one highlighted in yellow below.
NVR5216-16P-4KS2-ethernet-port.jpg
i install gdmss but it say locked ?and on on smart pss say offline locked?
It tries to login with the default username/password. Make sure you are using the correct username/password if you changed it.

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thx cryptelli ...i did plug it there ..just dont know which name and passw.. is it router, vpn server ,ddns, nvr 888888 or ?

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
when i go to gdmss add device there are options
p2p
quick ddns
dahua ddns
ip dpomain
wifi config
i choose p2p and it wont work asking sn ?
and do do i turn on dhcp on nvr?

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thx i did that
register mode -ip domain
name -nvr
address default 192.168.1.108
port 37777
username 888888
passw...888888
and got pop up message user does not exist???

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thx cryptelli i tried admin admin and got messge invalid pawsord??

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
no i didnt change anything on nvr ..i have pluged monizot on it to see cameras and only log in with 888888 888888

cryptelli

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
no i didnt change anything on nvr ..i have pluged monizot on it to see cameras and only log in with 888888 888888
When you initially boot up the NVR it will ask you go through the setup wizard which will then let you set your own password.

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
probably you are right i think it did ...but cant remmber did i change it ,i have writen down everything but left paper at my house ,and this is on my work place :banghead:

cryptelli

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
probably you are right i think it did ...but cant remmber did i change it ,i have writen down everything but left paper at my house ,and this is on my work place :banghead:
Bugger! Yeah even if you try to reset it'll ask you for the old password, so think you might be stuck until you get home.

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thx big.. its going good ,spent 3 weeks weekends trying to connect 2 routers hahahh and it was isp cs fault because they gave me 2 times wrong name ...ive menage to make openvpn and now 2 routers are working in bridge mode...so finally some progress

cryptelli

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
thx big.. its going good ,spent 3 weeks weekends trying to connect 2 routers hahahh and it was isp cs fault because they gave me 2 times wrong name ...ive menage to make openvpn and now 2 routers are working in bridge mode...so finally some progress
Good helps hard to come by these days... At least you are back on track and no doubt learning many things along the way.