VPN Primer for Noobs

What VPN Solution are you using?

• Total voters

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
By the way, which of the vpn protocols are considered to be fast?
I'm using an openVPN and the speed is dramatically dropped down in compare to not having a vpn.
i get about 1 Giga bit/sec (from ISP) on each side (client and remote server) and when i connect the client via a vpn, the speed is only ~20 Mb/s .
Wireguard is probably the "lightest" and therefore fastest.

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yea, an understanding is always a good thing. step by step instructions might get you there but you won't know where you are.
Have you looked into Wireguard? Not sure how it works on IpnSense, but it was straight forward when I used Home Assistant and the Wireguard add-on, it will generate the key and it presented the QRcode on screen, just used the iPhone cam to capture the QRcode and way you go.

Sparkey

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Have you looked into Wireguard? Not sure how it works on IpnSense, but it was straight forward when I used Home Assistant and the Wireguard add-on, it will generate the key and it presented the QRcode on screen, just used the iPhone cam to capture the QRcode and way you go.
I'm going to look into Wire Guard. OpenVPN gives you a QR code also and I took a picture of it with my iPhone and it did nothing. The OpenVPN client doesn't give you the option to use the code.

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm going to look into Wire Guard. OpenVPN gives you a QR code also and I took a picture of it with my iPhone and it did nothing. The OpenVPN client doesn't give you the option to use the code.
If the Wireguard add-in on OpnSense doesn't give you a QR code, you can plug in the information into a field on Wireguard's website to generate it:

Edit: The geek that I am, I was curious on how to do Wiregard on OpnSense and found the youtube video below, you probably already viewed it. I found his instructions and pace great.

Last edited: